Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac doesn't find Apple TV but iPad does..

Hi

I bought a Asus rt-n56u the other day and set it up with my Netgear cg3700 provided to be by my internet supplier. I turned off the router mode on the cg3700 when I connected them both.

When I tried to airplay a video from iTunes on my mac (macbook pro mid 2010) it doesn't find the Apple TV. Homesharing from the Apple TV doesn't work either (although it did before I installed the rt-n56u). I can't airplay or share my screen from a 2013 macbook air either.

But when I try to airplay videos from my iPad it works just fine. Furthermore I can access my videos in iTunes on my iPad trough homesharing.

This means that they are all on the same network and I can play a video in my iTunes-library on my Apple TV by finding it trough homesharing on my iPad and then airplay it from the iPad to my Apple TV. But I would like it to work as it should and not this way.

Does someone know what I should do to get it to work?

(I've tried to restart the modem, router, Apple TV, Mac and so on ...)

Posted on Jul 5, 2014 10:38 AM

3 replies

Jul 6, 2014 2:52 AM in response to roberthogberg

Apple unwisely used the name Airplay mirroring in my view as older Macs could only push a pre-rendered iTunes stream (eg purchase) via Airplay.

Airplay mirroring is quite different as you may know which is why older Macs are not supported.

This really does sound like a networking configuration issue - you've done the restart all devices I'd normally suggest.

Are some devices on ethernet?

Mac doesn't find Apple TV but iPad does..

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.