Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"The sync session failed to finish" help?

I had a previous question on this a week or so ago but it seems to be lost in the countless threads on here so I'll post this one with new information. Here is the old link for reference: Songs not syncing

My phone does 4 steps of the sync process and seems to miss out the part where it actually shows you the songs being synced. It gets to the fourth step and then comes up with a message box with a yellow icon saying something like "The sync could not be completed because the sync session failed to finish" - Notice finish. Others have said they have this problem saying started when I done some Googling.

I have:

-Factory rest my phone

-Updated phone

-Reinstalled iTunes

-Updated iTunes

-Deleted backups and sync history

-Ran diagnostics and got no errors

-Logged in and out of my account

-Toggled specific music on and off

-Enabled manually mange music and videos

All to no avail.

I'm not sure what else to do and since I now have even less content than I had before I factory reset, I would really like to get this fixed. I don't think I will be able to wait a few months for the iPhone 6's release before I get a working phone.

Thanks in advance!

Posted on Jul 5, 2014 11:34 AM

9 replies

Jul 8, 2014 5:07 PM in response to amappleuser

Some updates.

I tried to manually put music in by following what the help article said. That didn't work, but I noticed that while I have no music on my iPhone when I look on it, there is all my music I had before this problem in the "On This iPhone" section. Weird.

I also can't seem to find a way to delete any files manually from this section either.

I noticed that when trying to sync, it says "determining tracks to sync" but instead of cycling through the tracks it just moves to the next step.

Oct 21, 2014 12:17 AM in response to jid918

Aw, that's so sweet, you are very welcome!

I spent several days trying to fix this because I factory restored my 16GB iPad 3 and couldn't get my backup to restore my files (after very stupidly upgrading to iOS 8 which was a literal nightmare). Couldn't get the correct version back till I did this! I know these virus programs cause all kinds of problems if you don't go through pages of permissions (which no one does; myself included), so I tried it and it worked!

Dec 28, 2014 11:27 PM in response to amappleuser

I have the same problem and tried everything! NOTHING HELPS! That crappy laggy buggy iTunes for Windows.

I had 2 iPhone's 5S (both 64gb) and one iPhone 5C (32Gb). Everything synced fine.

Bought new iPhone 6 128Gb, restored info from one of iPhone 5S to it.

After reboot it tried to restore apps without success and now it ALWAYS says "The sync session failed to finish".

I clicked SYNC a lot of times and every time it installs 1-3 apps and then fails again.

Tried to update everything on old iPhone 5S, backed up, restored to iPhone 6 - same crap.

Installed all necessary apps manually on device but I STILL CANNOT sync it. No music, no ringtones. Nothing. No backup.

No issues syncing old devices (both 5S and 5C).

"The sync session failed to finish" help?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.