Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacPro early 2007 - can It be upgraded with a new CPU?

Posted on Jul 5, 2014 10:49 AM

6 replies

Jul 6, 2014 8:04 AM in response to jakwapnter

okay, jakwapnter, that's a great question. You made my day on that one.

No-the Genius Bar would probably Not do that-they only really handle current stuff, and neither your mac Pro or mine (2008) are considered current enough

However, if you could find a local independent Mac repair person willing to tackle it....it might be possible. If you're courageous and confident enough, and you feel that you pretty much know what you're doing, then maybe even you could do it. you might want to find some "how-to" videos first, though, and ask questions and learn stuff.. It ought to work, but not having done it myself I can't make any promises either way.

As for it being worthwhile, that's a crapshoot. If you do it successfully, you would get a bit more life out of your mac pro, but you still wouldn't be able to run

current stuff. if you have Lion on there now, maybe Snow Leopard, then that's it. Check around your local town and see if there are any used Mac Pro towers for sale. By buying a new Mac Pro tower you would be perhaps able to better run the more current stuff, but, as a guess, might cost you around $3,000. I guess you might have an original "Quad Core" (2 dual core chips) , so anything from 2008 on up should be faster, and you can be sure that it'll work. It's kinda like putting a 6 cylinder engine in an old Honda civic, yeah, it might go faster, but it's still an old Honda civic, so to say.

the ball's in your your court, I guess

good luck

John b

Jul 6, 2014 8:33 AM in response to jakwapnter

There are some first-hand reports about Mac Pro CPU upgrades at http://www.xlr8yourmac.com. If you are not very tech savvy, you probably shouldn't start your upgrade adventures with a CPU upgrade. Buy the processors and find a local Mac Tech.

A better bet would be to just buy a more recent Mac Pro. $1500 would get you a very nice used, tested machine at OWC. You can also find them on eBay, but that is trickier. You have to check feedback, perhaps search by location to see if you can get one that could be picked up locally. If nothing local turns up, look for sellers who have the original shipping materials. Be prepared to track Mac Pro auctions for a while to get a feel for the going rates

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.