Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Capsule

What can I do to stop my time capsule from getting stuck where it is "indexing"?

These are the facts:

I have a Mac Book Pro

Time Capsule is an external hard drive connected via USB

This happened with my previous hard drive time capsule after a short period of time and with the current one, even after I erased the whole thing and started over. That is, it backups up fine for a week or so, then gets stuck indexing. Its not an issue of space - there's a ton left on the time capsule and the computer is plugged in to power and the hard drive is attached with USB cable.

Help please?

Thanks - JP

Posted on Jul 5, 2014 11:24 AM

5 replies

Jul 5, 2014 2:05 PM in response to jasonzwpowers

We are a bit lost as to how a time capsule is plugged in by USB.

What model is the Time Capsule exactly? Are you confusing Time Capsule with external drive, because you cannot plug USB from TC into your Computer.

You can plug a USB drive into the TC and that will be super slow. I would not be surprised if indexing it takes forever.. Plug in by ethernet if you have this issue.

Jul 5, 2014 4:24 PM in response to jasonzwpowers

Airport Extreme plus hard disk inside = Time Capsule.

http://store.apple.com/au/product/ME177/airport-time-capsule-2tb?afid=p219%7CGOA U&cid=AOS-AU-KWG

Indexing of the USB drive failing perhaps shows the drive is no good. Do a full format of the drive.. not quick and then check for errors.

Install the TM widget. A1 http://pondini.org/TM/Troubleshooting.html

And do a verify of the backup, A5.

Indexing is not a problem that I can see for Time Machine so I suspect it is just a bad disk.

Jul 8, 2014 3:00 AM in response to jasonzwpowers

If you told me you have Mavericks on the computer then it is 100% totally reasonable. It has network equivalent of two tin cans with the string broken.

USB drives connected via Airport routers are not a great way to do things.. doing it over wireless is worse.

1. Is everything you are trying formatted HFS+. Don't even bother with any other format.

2. Redo the setup of the airport router.. use all short names no spaces and pure alphanumeric for everything.

3. Manually mount disks in Finder. It is much better to use IP than name.. but use Go, Connect to server.

AFP://TCname.local (replace TCname with your new name.. local is default domain and helps).

Or

AFP://10.0.1.1 (replace that IP with the airport IP you use. it must be static though for this to work.)

Store the password when requested in the keychain.

4. Use ethernet not wireless if it has issues indexing.

If it fails.. shrug.. mavericks.

Time Capsule

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.