Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

27 Inch IMac left side dims...Is this still a problem...will Apple fix it with a Recall

I Bought a 27 inch IMac back in 2011. After about 8 or 9 months the left side of the computer screen started to dim and then go back to normal...doesn't flicker...just goes back and forth from dimming to normal all the time. If i work on the computer for more than 10 minutes it just stays dim on the left side until I stop working and it goes to sleep. Absolutely love my Mac products...but this is causing me a lot of grief because my wife and I cant use it for editing our kids pictures and doing her school work through the online library....This has been a known problem for this computer....Am I one of only a few with this problem....or one of a lot? Will Apple issue a recall to fix this problem...or do I have to spend the $600.00 to fix it at the Apple store?

Posted on Jul 5, 2014 2:26 PM

1 reply

Jul 5, 2014 2:32 PM in response to Iron Anvil

No, it is a common problem with that model. It's a display failure that requires replacing the LG display in the computer. Apple should still have an active warranty extensions for the display, but I'm not sure if it hasn't expired already. You will need to contact your local Apple Store and ask. It's been quite some time since Apple issued the recall. When the computer was first released Apple was even giving buyers a special $300 rebate.

I had this same problem with mine. Unfortunately, I had attempted fixing it myself but ran into a snag. Apple refused to even consider repairing it even if I paid for it because I had opened up the computer. So if you think you will save money doing it yourself I'd advise against it unless you are capable of performing full hardware repairs on the machine. Just a heads up.

27 Inch IMac left side dims...Is this still a problem...will Apple fix it with a Recall

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.