Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Converted a home Video to DVD - given to me in VOB format

We had a 25 year old VHS home video converted by a local digital shop into a DVD. They gave it back to me and it work great in DIVX. I wanted to convert it to a forma that I can upload to You-tube so others can see it. Since it is not a commercial video I assumed it would not be encrypted so opted to buy the QicktimePro7 upgrade. However, it will not open the video - giving the error message "This is not a movie file". Is this right? If so then I need to ask for a refund of my $32.00 because it is not working as advertised.

Posted on Jul 5, 2014 5:54 PM

5 replies

Jul 5, 2014 8:18 PM in response to bryndeamer

We had a 25 year old VHS home video converted by a local digital shop into a DVD. They gave it back to me and it work great in DIVX. I wanted to convert it to a forma that I can upload to You-tube so others can see it. Since it is not a commercial video I assumed it would not be encrypted so opted to buy the QicktimePro7 upgrade. However, it will not open the video - giving the error message "This is not a movie file". Is this right? If so then I need to ask for a refund of my $32.00 because it is not working as advertised.

It is usually better to do your software research before purchase rather that after. Basically, QT 7 Pro is not a "native" DVD media player and the Apple DVD player (which is a general DVD media player) is not a VOB converter. VOB (i.e., "muxed" MPEG-2 video) can be viewed and/or converted by the QT 7 Pro app if you purchase and install the Apple MPEG-2 playback component. Unfortunately, this is an MPEG-2 video only codec and does not handle "muxed" audio formats like AC3. Luckily, with the Apple MPEG-2 codec installed, you can use a free app like MPEG Streamclip to handle "muxed" MPEG-2/AC3 VOB files. However, even this is probably not the best workflow here.

If, as you indicate, the source files are not encrypted, the best free conversion solution would likely be to simply copy the VIDEO_TS folder from your DVD to your HDD and than use the free HandBrake app to open and convert the DVD content to H.264/AAC file content for common distribution or uploading to web sites like YouTube or Vimeo.

To answer your original question, "Yes, the file is a movie file but may not be supported on your system as it is currently configured for QT 7 use." You should also be aware of the fact that Apple is unlikely to refund your money since it appears you did successfully install the "Pro" key and it did work as advertised even if you did not fully read and understand what it can and cannot do. (I.e., QT 7 Pro is primarily used for the editing/compositing of parallel/elementary program stream files having up to 99 tracks of data. It is a very powerful app if you know how to use it properly to handle compression formats for which your system is configured but it is not a "universal" editor/converter.)

User uploaded file

Jul 8, 2014 6:15 PM in response to Jon Walker

You are right of course - no way Apple would refund anything. I just got tripped up by their statement on their Quicktime Pro Page:

Convert your media.

Want to watch your home movies in the living room or on the go? QuickTime 7 Pro converts your files to a format optimized for iPhone, iPod, Apple TV, or a variety of other devices.

And elsewhere a warning that encrypted commercial DVD could not be converted.

I've gone ahead and Handbrake to my Dell Laptop and it converted the Video while I was sleeping last night - took about 3.5 hours.. Have yet to check it.

Thank for the lecture! 😁

Jul 9, 2014 8:57 PM in response to bryndeamer

So I found the answer to my original question under my nose the whole time. My wife was using the MacBook Pro to make iPhoto albums, so I put the DVD into her Dell laptop and copied the VOB files with the idea of downloading Handbrake there and doing the conversion. . When I clicked on them it opened Windows Live Movie Maker. With that open there is a simple "upload to you-tube" button. Clicking on that brought up the information about saving the Live Movie Maker Files in the appropriate .wmv file and the warning that Youtube may only accept 15 minute videos unless you verify your self with them. So I did all of that and now I am happily opening my VOB files, creating titles and captions, editing out the glitches, merging files, then saving them as .wmv file, and have uploaded one to YouTube already.

Funny that in all my Google searching for converting VOB files to Youtube compatible files I never found a mention of Using Window Live Media...

Thanks for all the tips!

Converted a home Video to DVD - given to me in VOB format

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.