Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Running win 7 on boot camp

I am trying to set up Windows 7 on my brand new Mac book pro. 15 inch retina screen. I7 processor.

Apple support says the version of Boot Camp on my brand new machine only supports, Win 8.

I don't want to have to buy another version of Windows, but it appears I may have no choice.

Does anyone know another work-around? What about parallels?

If forced to do so,

Can I buy and download Windows on line? Or must I have a physical copy on CD Rom?

Thanks so much.

Mike Duffy

<Email Edited By Host>

Posted on Jul 5, 2014 4:14 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 5, 2014 4:23 PM

You can use Parallels which does not rely on Boot Camp. Or you can try to find the previous version of Boot Camp Assistant that does support Win 7.

You will have to go to the Microsoft site in order to see what is available for purchase online. I think they only sell you an updater for Win 8 online for download. But you must buy the DVD for a full installer. Not sure, so you will need to check it out.

For future reference do not reveal your email address on the forums.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 5, 2014 4:23 PM in response to Redd00r

You can use Parallels which does not rely on Boot Camp. Or you can try to find the previous version of Boot Camp Assistant that does support Win 7.

You will have to go to the Microsoft site in order to see what is available for purchase online. I think they only sell you an updater for Win 8 online for download. But you must buy the DVD for a full installer. Not sure, so you will need to check it out.

For future reference do not reveal your email address on the forums.

Running win 7 on boot camp

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.