Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Missing loops and EXS24 instrument file not found

Upgraded Macs, and moved to iLife. Having challenges with new version of GarageBand 10.0.2.

Problem #1: EXS24 instrument file not found.

Depending on which song that I try to import, i get a series of "file not found" error messages. Then the program opens a "Importing GarageBand Project" dialogues box that just churns forever.

Any advice?

Posted on Jul 5, 2014 6:23 PM

9 replies

Jul 6, 2014 2:22 AM in response to léonie

Ok. Dumped GarageBand 10.0.2 in the Trash (refrain from making rude comment), and re-installed GarageBand '09 Version 5.1. Looks like the familiar mix board that I am used to.

Loops are missing. Tried downloading the three JamPacks (Symphony Orchestra, Rhythm Section, World Music). Two work. The third (World Music) just spins and spins and spins on "Running Package Scripts" claiming that less than a minute remains, despite getting my laptop all worked up (fan running on max) for over an hour.

Thoughts?

User uploaded file

Jul 6, 2014 2:37 AM in response to léonie

Thank you Leonie.

I have followed similar advice and saved instrument loops in three different libraries on the Mac - which is the correct one?

They are:

[1] MacintoshHD/Library/Application Support/GarageBand/Instrument Library

[2] MacintoshHD/System/Library/Application Support/GarageBand/Instrument Library

[3] /Users/swgutto/Library/Application Support/GarageBand/Instrument Library

Appreciate your wisdom and help.

Jul 6, 2014 10:28 PM in response to SWGutto

which is the correct one?

They are:

[1] MacintoshHD/Library/Application Support/GarageBand/Instrument Library

[2] MacintoshHD/System/Library/Application Support/GarageBand/Instrument Library

[3] /Users/swgutto/Library/Application Support/GarageBand/Instrument Library

Instruments should be installed either in [1] or [3].

[3] is the user library. If you install instruments there, they will only be accessible by you.

[1] is the system-wide installation library and should be used, if you want to install for all users.

[2] is a private system library, and software extensions should not be installed there. On my Mac is no "Application Support" folder in the private system library.

The "Thumbstroke Bass" is probably one of the JamPack Rhythm Section instruments. I cannot tell from my current installation, where GarageBand '09 installed this instrument. Search with Find Any File for this audio file: DPTUXLO1A2X02.aif . On my mac I found it at

/Library/Application Support/GarageBand/Instrument Library/Sampler/Sampler Files/Thumbstroke Bass/DPTUXLO1A2X02.aif

But that cannot be the original installation place.

You can download "Find Any File" at -http://apps.tempel.org/FindAnyFile/index.php

Jul 9, 2014 5:20 AM in response to léonie

Excellent. The instrument files all work - no more exs errors. Thank you.

Now on to Part Two of the post: the loops.

I swear I have read other posts, and am not trying to waste your time. But nothing seems to work. I have dragged loops into the Loop Browser but they disappear. The Loop Browser only finds some loops. (see screen shot below). I have loaded three JamPacks, but they do not show up. And when I select "Show All" the screen below is blank. (Note below: even when I select show "Jam Pack Rhythm Section", the browser is empty.) I have dragged loops into the browser. I have deleted the Search Index file multiple times.

Where should the Loops reside?

How do I get them to show up when I select Show All?

User uploaded file

Jul 9, 2014 9:33 AM in response to SWGutto

Have a look at this document:

GarageBand, Logic: Where loops get installed http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1045

Apple Loops for GarageBand Jam Pack, Jam Pack Remix Tools, and Jam Pack Rhythm Section install loops in their own named folders in:

/Library/Application Support/GarageBand/Apple Loops/

Rebuilding the Loop Index in GarageBand 6 or earlier

Disable keyword browsing in the preferences - in GarageBand '11 it looks like this: GB '09 has a similar option in the preferences:

User uploaded file

Missing loops and EXS24 instrument file not found

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.