Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Podcast: Missing Episodes !

Hello Hello,

I am using Wordpress and the Blubryy PowerPress Plugin.

I submitted my podcast feed http://www.bernhardrieder.com/feed/podcast/

The feed seems to be fine and it contains all 4 Episodes.

However, in the ITunes Podcast only one episode shows up.

It's Episode #2.

Another issue I have:
My feed contains a different audio file which should not be within my podcasts.

It's just 15 seconds long, and should be removed. I just don't know how to remove that audio file from my podcast !

It's name is: WINNER - Beautiful Paintings (should be removed)

What am I doing wrong ?

Is there anything else on my side I could do ?

I also checked the settings within Wordpress-->Reading-->Syndication feeds show the most recent: 50

Don't know how to fix that issue.

Thank you so much for any little help,

I really appreciate it.

Posted on Jul 5, 2014 9:33 PM

15 replies

Jul 5, 2014 11:34 PM in response to reseo

There are five episodes in the feed - 1-4 and the earlier 'Winner'. All five appear when subscribing in iTunes.

However the iTunes Store in iTunes says it is showing 5 items but episode 1 is missing. This is a long-standing and intermittent bug in the Store where some or all of the episodes are not visible but it still says 'n items' where 'n' is the correct number. There isn't anything you can do about that except wait it out - usually it corrects itself after a few days.

As to the 'Winner' episode, just delete it from your podcast using the method you use to add episodes, and re-upload the feed. It will disappear from the list for subscribers immediately (though of course anyone who has downloaded it will still have it), and from the Store after a couple of days or so

Jul 6, 2014 11:29 AM in response to Roger Wilmut1

@Roger:

Thank you so much for your fast reply and help - makes me very happy and I do appreciate it a lot.

Ok.. so for it seems I did it right, just have to be more patient. That's good.

about the "Winner" audio file. Hmm... not sure if I could follow you.... about removing the file....

What I did now is simple. I just removed from my post the PowerPress "Excerpt" which points to the .mp3 file.

- so you are saying that should do the trick ?

- after removing the excerpt within the post it will also correct my feed ?

I was also wondering... what if I have other .mp3 files I want to include to different posts... posts and articles that DO NOT belong to my podcast.

How could I embed the .mp3 file within my post and making sure it's not within my feed and my Podcast on ITunes ?

Hmm.. I guess I am a bit confused at the moment.

Thank you so much for any little help !!! 🙂

Jul 6, 2014 12:15 PM in response to reseo

I can't advise on the specifics of Wordpress and Powerpress. It's not really a good idea to mix podcast and non-podcast episodes in the same feed, though iTunes won't show episodes which don't have an 'enclosure' tag containing the URL of your media file. If you want to have an episode which contains a link to a media file but doesn't appear in iTunes you will have to find a way of including it, perhaps as a link in the 'description' tag which is not read by iTunes, without an 'encosure' tag being created. My intention in my earlier post was that you should remove the episode.

Jul 7, 2014 10:13 PM in response to Roger Wilmut1

Hi Roger,

ok.. I do understand, thank you very much for the info, appreciate it.

I removed the "enclosure" tag from the post and .mp3 file.

Do I have to change the feed by hand ?

Or will the feed automatically be updated and the unwanted .mp3 file removed ?

How the feed actually was created is a riddle to me.

But I assume the PowerPress Plugin created it automatically.

Another issue I just realized today.

You have been right, I can already see episodes 2-4.

However, Podcast #2 is only 15 seconds - but the original takes about 30 minutes.

Is this just another glitch ?

Jul 7, 2014 11:37 PM in response to reseo

The unwanted episode has been removed from the feed. Episode 1 is currently not showing in the Store although it's in the feed and does appear when you subscribe - this is the bug in the Store I mentioned earlier.

Episode 2 is the only episode to have an 'itunes:duration' tag, which you have set to '15' - 15 seconds. The Store is believing what it's been told and only playing 15 seconds of it. When subscribing the correct duration appears when you download it. The episode is actually 16 minutes long.

Though it does work without the tag, it's better to have one for each episode, in the format

<itunes:duration>HH:MM:SS</itunes:duration>

e.g. <itunes:duration>00:18:15</itunes:duration>

Jul 13, 2014 8:51 AM in response to Roger Wilmut1

Hi Roger,

Thank you for your help with my other question!

This is happening to me, too, with my podcast. My link's https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/over-coffee/id896305828 and they've now shown the most recent episode I put up--while the previous 7 still aren't listed, but are available for download.

At this point, it looks like I'd better get a cup of coffee, step away from the computer and just hope they get that bug fixed soon!

Jul 14, 2014 11:28 AM in response to Roger Wilmut1

@Roger:

you are sooo helpful - THANK YOU SO MUCH !!!

I think that's my problem I had since the start. I do not understand what actually creates my feed ?

I use The WordPress Plugin PowerPress - so that plugin creates my feed, but I have no options or influence to change settings from the .mp3 files !

So I assume that information has to be "baked" into the .mp3 files - I mean the tags.

Isn't there a way to use ITues to change such tags ?

Jul 14, 2014 12:51 PM in response to Roger Wilmut1

@Roger:

thx.. that's leading me to the PowerPress plugin and changing the feed. I'll try to find a way to change it... but so far.. it sounds really stupid.. no luck.. I am not able to find any options to change single audio files. All I do have is a so called enclosure option within the post. And that's about it.

here is my page iwth all my podcasts:

http://www.bernhardrieder.com/alien-marketing/

this is my iTunes URL:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/alien-marketing-for-creative/id894287803

and here is my feed:

http://www.bernhardrieder.com/feed/podcast/

It's really strange that there is no way to change the duration within my post ... or the plugin... but it looks like the feed is just totally driven by my post.

User uploaded file

Podcast: Missing Episodes !

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.