Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacPro 3,1 Graphics card support?

Can a Mac Pro 3,1 (2008) support any graphics card?

or just the ones you could have them put in when you bought it originally?

List of original graphics:

Mac Pro (all models): Graphics card compatibility between models

Thanks, Ciarán

Posted on Jul 5, 2014 7:43 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 5, 2014 8:07 PM

You can use early 2009 and mid 2010 supported graphic cards as well.

4 replies

Jul 6, 2014 8:12 AM in response to kaz-k

yup-you are correct, sir. You can possibly use PC graphics cards in a Mac, but you won't get a boot screen, unless the card has been flashed so that it is "mac friendly" (how that is done, I have no idea at all) . I'd have to say "not any graphics card, but some of them, anyways'

Changing them out isn't too hard either. I think the most recent ones are Sapphire's 7950 and nivida GX 680, but I'm not positive on that

JB

Jul 16, 2014 1:59 PM in response to ciardogs

Depending on needs, for a simple cheap fix one might consider the following:

In a Mac Pro 3,1 (Early 2008) running Mavericks 10.9.4, I replaced my failing (for the second time) ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT 256 MB with an EVGA NVIDIA GeForce GT 610 1024 MB, a low-cost (about $50) PC graphics card. This was installed in slot 2 based on reports that this slot is more reliable in this machine. Like the original, the new card has two DVI connectors (as well as one Mini-HDMI) and needs no internal power cable.

There are no graphics during boot, but it works fine for basic video with two 1080p monitors. Unlike the old card, it also provides basic CUDA and OpenCL support.

MacPro 3,1 Graphics card support?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.