Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time capsule vs Linksys WRT1900AC

Does the Apple time capsule get better speeds than the router Linksys WRT1900AC?

Posted on Jul 5, 2014 9:54 PM

7 replies

Jul 6, 2014 12:20 AM in response to bendmitchell

If you look at a comparison.

eg http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/lanwan/router-charts/bar/113-5-ghz-dn-c

You will see the Linksys is around twice the speed of the TC.

BUT that is measured to a client device made by Asus with windows drivers.

I doubt anybody in the Apple world has done proper testing of the two.

Wireless is not like ethernet where one result fits all.. we are talking about wireless .. a technology more akin to voodoo than science.. what results you get will vary from machine to machine and drivers and OS and client antennas and everything you can dream up.

If you are buying for apple clients the Apple routers will give you the least trouble.. with the least abilities.

Speeds close up are probably going to be comparable.. speeds and precisely what you mean by that.. otherwise will depend hugely on the environment.

Jul 7, 2014 9:40 AM in response to LaPastenague

I am pretty much a newbie when it comes to this stuff. I have Comcast Xfinity 105 internet service. I also have the latest time capsule. Should I buy the Linksys WRT1900ac? I get pretty fast speeds with the TC. How many devices can you have on the TC anyway? I'm not even sure the difference between a modem and router, I am that simple. I am looking to hook up things like Apple TV and roku for streaming. If I buy the linksys, do I need to buy a modem too or is the comcast one they provide good enough? Sorry for all the questions but I'm just trying to figure this all out.

Jul 7, 2014 1:37 PM in response to bendmitchell

Does your comcast service come with a provided modem, or do you have to buy your own??

If you have a modem, you do not need to buy another one.. if you have no modem and one is not supplied then buy your own.. it is usually cheaper after 12months to buy than rent. Comcast will have a list of compatible modems you can buy.. please buy one from that list but I would shy away from the Motorola.

Plug the TC into the modem, as per the setup guide you can download. Run through the setup utility in the airport utility and it will work fine for AppleTV and Roku and whatever other wireless or wired clients you have.. It is more than enough for your needs so you do not want or need the linksys.

Jul 7, 2014 1:49 PM in response to bendmitchell

The comcast router is all you need for router function. The TC will be in bridge mode.. plugged WAN port TC to the LAN port Comcast Router.

Bridge will be like this on the network tab.

User uploaded file

You will create a wireless network.

User uploaded file

You can name it as you like but I recommend short names.. eg TCwifi

Use WPA2 personal security and set a password. 8-20 characters depending on your level of paranoia.. pure alphanumeric.

You can also use an identical wireless name = SSID and Security / password as your comcast router.

It doesn't really matter which wireless clients join to.. you need nothing more than this at least for now. And you can run your TM backups to the TC.

Jul 7, 2014 2:08 PM in response to bendmitchell

The TC and the Linksys are about equal. As I tried to indicate in the first post.. your question is so dependent on environment that it is meaningless.

For mostly apple clients the TC will generally work better. For PC and other clients the Linksys should be at least equal or better..

So in your case which is the more powerful is almost irrelevant.

Time capsule vs Linksys WRT1900AC

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.