Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cloning all but the os for new Imac (need to clone fcp)

I have just purchased a new 27 - inch 3.4 GHz imac (2014) My older machine is a 2.8 GHz intel core i7 running 10.8.5 (2010) I have lots of older apps, some that I no longer have the discs for. Most notably, fcp studio. I want to clone my old hard drive to my new one in order to be able to keep these apps along with all my user info. I don't want to clone the os. I have carbon copy cloner. How can I make sure I clone everything I need for my apps to work, including fcp? I know if I clone everything, it will also clone the os. There are so many files to clone, it would be so much easier if I know what to untick rather than choosing what files to tick.

Also, I have cloned and re-cloned the drive many times already each time I have upgraded my computers. Can you clone too many times? Will it cause corruption of files if I continue to work off of cloned drives?

Posted on Jul 6, 2014 1:01 AM

2 replies

Cloning all but the os for new Imac (need to clone fcp)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.