Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Should _faces files be visible in iPhoto application?

I have restored my iPhoto from a back up which was already messy with duplicates from previous restores. I'm trying to fix the compounded issue to get a single clean library.

Library currently has 95,000+ photos including 39,000 _face files (many themselves duplicated). IPLM has identified ~37k duplicates.

Questions:

1. Should _face files be visible when using the Events or Photos views? I used the Faces functionality briefly years ago in an older version but I do not recall the _face files being added to each event. I suspect the ones I can see are unnecessary duplicates, and safe to delete...

2. Can I delete the _face files from within iPhoto (i.e. is it safe)? I would do so by finding "_face" and sending them all to iPhoto trash. I have seen other discussions saying deleting them would destroy the library structure, but I think that referred to deleting them from Finder.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide...

iphoto 9.5.1, os x 10.9.3

Posted on Jul 5, 2014 11:39 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 6, 2014 12:19 AM

1. Should _face files be visible when using the Events or Photos views? I used the Faces functionality briefly years ago in an older version but I do not recall the _face files being added to each event. I suspect the ones I can see are unnecessary duplicates, and safe to delete...

Faces should only be visible from the "Faces" cork board and not as photos in your events or albums. You have probably imported an iPhoto library at some point, when you restored your library from the backup. When you are seeing photos in events in iPhoto, that you do not want in your library, you can safely delete them in iPhoto.

2. Can I delete the _face files from within iPhoto (i.e. is it safe)? I would do so by finding "_face" and sending them all to iPhoto trash. I have seen other discussions saying deleting them would destroy the library structure, but I think that referred to deleting them from Finder.

That is a good plan, if you do not have an older backup, that is not messy.

Don't trash too many photos at once, however. Only a few hundred at one time. iPhoto used to have a problem with the Trash and could not empty it, if it was too full. I am not sure, if this problem really has been fixed. By trashing in smaller instalments, you will be able to check the trash before emptying it.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 6, 2014 12:19 AM in response to jeremyfromartarmon

Faces should only be visible from the "Faces" cork board and not as photos in your events or albums. You have probably imported an iPhoto library at some point, when you restored your library from the backup. When you are seeing photos in events in iPhoto, that you do not want in your library, you can safely delete them in iPhoto.

That is a good plan, if you do not have an older backup, that is not messy.

Don't trash too many photos at once, however. Only a few hundred at one time. iPhoto used to have a problem with the Trash and could not empty it, if it was too full. I am not sure, if this problem really has been fixed. By trashing in smaller instalments, you will be able to check the trash before emptying it.

Should _faces files be visible in iPhoto application?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.