Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using mac mini nearly for 3yrs. From few weeks i feel electric stock over it surface and on keyboard too. I Tested with current tester it showed electric flow

Using mac mini nearly for 3yrs. From few weeks i feel electric stock over it surface and on keyboard too. I Tested with current tester it showed electric flow

Posted on Jul 6, 2014 1:55 AM

29 replies

Apr 15, 2017 2:50 AM in response to H.Kiran

Hi Kiran,

Got any solutions for this issue? I have exact same issue started recently in my 2 year old mac mini (Late 2014 model).

4 to 5V current flows in mac mini case and keyboard.

System is not needed to be powered on to feel the shock. If cable gets power, it starts to shock at both case and keyboard.

As the mac mini comes with 2 prong plug, it is not ground issue.

Apr 15, 2017 10:37 AM in response to Siva D

Should the unit have an extended optional AppleCare agreement in place

the option to schedule an appointment with Authorized Apple Service or

have the unit inspected first by someone who knows what to check, is an

advisement to consider, if nothing else for a referral to resolve this issue.

Sounds as though some non-conductive materials have failed to insulate

the powered sections of the internal circuitry from the outer metal case.

And so you would be able to feel any power leakage, as you would be

supplying the ground-effect or a 'conduit to ground' in that situation...

User uploaded file

• Mac Mini Late 2014 - iFixit repair guide
https://www.ifixit.com/Device/Mac_Mini_Late_2014

IF you wanted to see how the construct of that model Apple Mac Mini

may be affected by component failure, either look into a 'take-apart' or

an online repair guide (ifixit has both, free to view & use). Components

are modules which could be removed and replaced, carefully & in kind.

And have the grid power source checked where Mini is in use.

Good luck & happy computing! 🙂

Apr 15, 2017 10:35 AM in response to Siva D

Siva D wrote:

Hi Kiran,

Got any solutions for this issue? I have exact same issue started recently in my 2 year old mac mini (Late 2014 model).

4 to 5V current flows in mac mini case and keyboard.

System is not needed to be powered on to feel the shock. If cable gets power, it starts to shock at both case and keyboard.

As the mac mini comes with 2 prong plug, it is not ground issue.

That means that you have current flowing at low voltage on the return line, have your house supply checked out.

Apr 15, 2017 11:32 PM in response to K Shaffer

Thanks Shaffer. iFixit have detailed steps. But I think, I don't have expertise and tools to open the unit myself. I will try AppleCare.

Grid power seems fine. I get 240 V.

When I checked the voltage between neutral and earth, it shows 1 to 2V AC. Is that an issue?

One more question, If I give earth connection to the Mac Mini's case (fixing a cable on case and link it with the earth wire), I don't feel shock. The current flow I see is less than 1V DC in multimeter. Is that okay? OR will it make damages to the internal components?

Jul 6, 2014 2:48 AM in response to Csound1

Thank First

I just plug it to any plug in my house or my friend house before powering mac mini there is electric stock near power button

I took it to apple care center strangely there i could't feel too much as in my house the service center guy recommend me to go with three pin power cable.

I checked my house ground with technician everything is fine

I have another system (Window pc) plugged to same ups no problem

When i plugged my Apple keyboard to mac mini i feel electric stock but when plugged to pc no electeic stock & i tested it with electric tester

Jul 6, 2014 11:07 PM in response to H.Kiran

H.Kiran wrote:

Thank First

I just plug it to any plug in my house or my friend house before powering mac mini there is electric stock near power button

I took it to apple care center strangely there i could't feel too much as in my house the service center guy recommend me to go with three pin power cable.

I checked my house ground with technician everything is fine

I have another system (Window pc) plugged to same ups no problem

When i plugged my Apple keyboard to mac mini i feel electric stock but when plugged to pc no electeic stock & i tested it with electric tester

I am asking what the result of testing it with the the tester was.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.