Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Aperture tabs horizontal/vertical

I don't use tabs in Aperture a lot, but when I recently alt-clicked a project I noticed that the two tabs (browsers) where displayed on-top of each other (horizontal) whereas they used to show up side-to-side (vertical). Any idea how I can change this behaviour?

Also, is there a possibility to compare EXIF data of two images side to side?

Posted on Jul 6, 2014 2:56 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 6, 2014 4:03 AM

I noticed that the two tabs (browsers) where displayed on-top of each other (horizontal) whereas they used to show up side-to-side (vertical). Any idea how I can change this behaviour?

Experiment with the "View" menu:

View > Browser > Rotate Position

User uploaded file

Use the "List" View and change the Metadata preset for List View to show the EXIF you want.

User uploaded file

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 6, 2014 4:03 AM in response to Ir. Bob

I noticed that the two tabs (browsers) where displayed on-top of each other (horizontal) whereas they used to show up side-to-side (vertical). Any idea how I can change this behaviour?

Experiment with the "View" menu:

View > Browser > Rotate Position

User uploaded file

Use the "List" View and change the Metadata preset for List View to show the EXIF you want.

User uploaded file

Jul 6, 2014 7:30 AM in response to léonie

I'm using 3.5.1 as well in conjunction with OS X 10.9.3. After some further digging, it seems to be related to my user account. Opening exactly the same library by a different user, and the panels are oriented vertical as I want them to be. I tried moving ~/Library/Preferences/com.Apple.Aperture.plist to the trash to no avail. To be continued...

P.s. At this point I'm not using a second monitor, but I have used it in the past.

Jul 6, 2014 8:02 AM in response to Ir. Bob

Opening exactly the same library by a different user, and the panels are oriented vertical as I want them to be. I tried moving ~/Library/Preferences/com.Apple.Aperture.plist to the trash to no avail.

Just to be sure - have you restarted the Mac directly after removing the "Aperture.plist" file? Otherwise, the deletion may not take in Mavericks because of the process model.

If you are about to start deleting preferences and caches, try to remove the sandbox as well.

Delete the complete folder ~/Library/Containers/com.apple.Aperture/

Jul 6, 2014 10:19 AM in response to Ir. Bob

Ir. Bob wrote:

I have a feeling this is hardcoded.

Jumping in — but don't let the commotion indicate that I have anything useful to add. I had the same problem this last week. I was not able to resolve it, and instead made a note to examine it later and didn't use multiple Browsers. Then yesterday I noticed that the problem is gone. I cannot recreate the vertically-stacked Browsers, and so can't offer any solutions.

I do use multiple monitors. Your suggestion, elsewhere in this thread, that that might have left something in the system is the first thing I would try to fix. Close all programs, disconnect all peripherals, and shut down your computer. Uncheck "Reopen Windows when logging on". After your computer has been dead to the world for a minute, restart it. Open Aperture, and see if this has set the multiple Browsers to be arranged horizontally.

The next step is dark Voodoo. Just let Aperture run unmolested for a few hours. Afaict, Aperture keeps a list of maintenance tasks that it gets to when you're not asking it to do anything else.

And lastly — an old trick : reset your NVRAM.

Let us know if anything helps.

—Kirby.

Jul 6, 2014 10:38 AM in response to Ir. Bob

Glad, you got it working again.

It seems inedded that sandboxing makes deleting pref files a bit hard so in the end i resorted to the terminal:

"defaults delete com.apple.Aperture.plist" followed by a reboot did the trick.

it is not only the sandboxing, that is making deleting preference files tricky, but the new process model with "automatic termination" introduced with MacOS X 10.7. (http://arstechnica.com/apple/2011/07/mac-os-x-10-7/8/) Applications may not really quit, when you quit them, but remain in the cache, ready to run again. Mavericks is hiding the difference between running applications and quit applications. The only way to ensure, that the preferences files will not be simply rewritten with the cached values, is restarting the Mac.

Aperture tabs horizontal/vertical

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.