Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is there a way to un-sync Aperture and iPhoto libraries when I upload pictures?

When I bought and downloaded Aperture onto my Mac it asked me if I wanted to merge iPhoto and Aperture libraries. I decided that it would probably be more convenient but now after experiencing it I am realizing that I don't like it because I'm so used to having two separate photography applications and it's actually easier for me to keep them separate. So now I have been trying to figure out how to un-sync the two but I can't figure it out. I've been searching through iPhoto and Aperture preferences hoping that I could find a solution but so far no luck.

Posted on Jul 6, 2014 9:30 AM

3 replies

Jul 6, 2014 9:50 AM in response to ACphotography

There is no "syncing" and you didn't "sync" your iPhoto and Aperture Libraries.

You don't have iPhoto and Aperture Libraries. You have a Library. It can be opened with either iPhoto or Aperture.

Using Aperture you can export a group of Projects as a Library and then open that with iPhoto.

I can't see any benefit in doing this though, except unnecessary complication. Why do you want to do it?

Jul 6, 2014 8:27 PM in response to Yer_Man

On my old Mac I uploaded all of my pictures from individual events onto iPhoto then also moved them to Aperture. On Aperture was where I would do all of the editing, including deleting pictures that came out badly or I didn't like as much. So I simply used iPhoto to organize them and to be able to keep the ones that I decided to deleted on Aperture. Aperture was basically where I kept all the pictures that were edited and ready to be uploaded to Flickr. I guess I just like it better that way because I am used to it, but I guess I will have to get used to it this way now.

Jul 6, 2014 11:23 PM in response to ACphotography

For this to make sense you have to stop thinking of iPhoto and Aperture as places. They're not. They're tools. So you don't import anything to iPhoto. iPhoto is not a place. Neither do you move things to Aperture. It's not a place.

So, you import images to the Library. You can do this with either of two tools - iPhoto or Aperture.

You can edit images in the Library. You do this with either of two tools - iPhoto or Aperture.

So your workflow is even simpler: Import images to the Library with iPhoto. Quit iPhoto, Start Aperture. Work as you prefer.

Same difference, see?

That said, uploading your images to Events with iPhoto is, well, a waste of time. You can do the same - exactly the same - with Aperture and just drop iPhoto from the workflow entirely.

Is there a way to un-sync Aperture and iPhoto libraries when I upload pictures?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.