Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Keyframing Color Correction

Hi

Some footage, taped in natural light, has changes when clouds passed over. There doesn't appear to be any way to keyframe color correction, exposure specifically, in FCPX. Seems like I heard something somewhere about that being possible in Motion.

Having hardly opened Motion, I was wondering if one can keyframe CC (Exposure) changes over time and if there's any tutorial on that subject?

best

elmer

Posted on Jul 6, 2014 10:21 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 6, 2014 11:42 AM

You cannot key fame CC but you can key frame opacity. Either duplicate your clip, stack it on top of the one you would like to CC, make the exposure adjustment and key fame the amount of opacity
 or use an adjustment layer to accomplish this same thing.

Russ

Just to add, some people prefer to use the blade tool and insert transitions at the edit point.

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 6, 2014 11:42 AM in response to elmerlang

You cannot key fame CC but you can key frame opacity. Either duplicate your clip, stack it on top of the one you would like to CC, make the exposure adjustment and key fame the amount of opacity
 or use an adjustment layer to accomplish this same thing.

Russ

Just to add, some people prefer to use the blade tool and insert transitions at the edit point.

Jul 7, 2014 5:30 AM in response to David M Brewer

Thank you all, gents, for your replies!!

What Tom wrote is what I've been doing, works pretty well, but was wondering what the other options were. I won't go hard into CCing for a while, but am interested in trying Mr Brewer's approach then.

Mr Brewer, one question: I see Color Balance and Saturation controls, what do you do about Exposure?

Thanks again!

elmer

Jul 7, 2014 6:12 AM in response to elmerlang

The exposer is set by... for shadows click on the shadow box and a color pallet will open up... for adjustments use the slider.... mid-tones and highlights do the same.

User uploaded file

To adjust the hue (white balance) click to the arrow to open up the RGB settings for shadows... mid-tones and highlights...

User uploaded file

Here is where you can download a simple color corrector made by ripple training...

http://www.rippletraining.com/using-the-rt-color-balance-effect-in-final-cut-pro -x.html

Aug 1, 2015 1:05 PM in response to David M Brewer

Hey David,

Soooooo cool, would you mind sitting tight here for a bit for me?...I just wanna get my PHD and Masters first in Coding , Programming, and Physics , so i can come back here, and better understand this Motion help section, on how to be able in Keyframing CC in FCPX with this custom magic way of doing fundamentally basic CC on a video clip......

LMAO

its really time to up my game and move on to PREMIERE now, even the Genius Bar at the APPLE Flagship store in Soho New York suggested to use Premiere if one is somewhat interested in basic video editing....

😝

Keyframing Color Correction

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.