Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ambient Backlit Keyboard Sensor not Working

Hi, I own a mid-2012 MacBook Pro, and I'm pretty sure that my keyboard has a backlit sensor (since the 2011 model does), but it doesn't work. Every time I go into a dimly lit place my keyboard sensor doesn't seem to recognize it, and I struggle to find the the F6 key. Does anyone know how I enable it, how to repair it if it's broken or if I even have one?

Thank you!

-Seth

Posted on Jul 6, 2014 1:05 PM

2 replies

Jul 10, 2014 8:29 AM in response to RoundMan98

The sensor is amount of light that is reaching the iSight camera on your MacBook.

Firstly, check that the setting is enabled in System Preferences > Keyboard > Keyboard pane.

User uploaded file

If that setting is not working and the F5 button is not setting the backlight to minimum, then try a resetting the System Management Controller SMC.

Intel-based Macs: Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC)

This reset includes;

Lights

• The keyboard backlight appears to behave incorrectly (on Mac computers that have this feature).
  • The Status Indicator Light (SIL) appears to behave incorrectly (on Mac computers that have an SIL).
  • Battery indicator lights, if present, appear to behave incorrectly (on portables that use non-removable batteries).
  • The display backlight doesn't respond correctly to ambient light changes on Mac computers that have this feature.

Ambient Backlit Keyboard Sensor not Working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.