Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

5.1.1 Chapter 4 Step 3 to 4: Record Button turn WHITE when Parameters are RED

This is an odd behavoir and is the opposite of the way it should be.

In the Apple Pro Training Series "Motion 5" book, Chapter 4, Step 3 to 4, when the Record Button is Red the Keyframeable parameters are White, and, when the the Record Button is WHITE the Keyframeable parameters are RED. This is just the opposite of what it should be.

With the Keyframeable Parameters white it looks like this:

User uploaded file

When the Record Button is clicked on and activated, the KeyFrameable Parameters are Red (which is what I want) but the button turns white.

User uploaded file

Why should this be?

Posted on Jul 6, 2014 2:12 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 7, 2014 12:36 PM

It's working just the way it is supposed to. Red values the inspector tell you that the parameter has been keyframed, and any changes will alter the existing keyframe or add a new one at the current point in time. Color coding for the record button in the playback controls does not equal the state of a parameter. For example, you don't have to enable the record button to enable animation recording. If you add a keyframe to any parameter, the value will turn red. Think of it as a way for the inspector to alert you that recording is always on for the parameter, regardless of the record button setting.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 7, 2014 12:36 PM in response to Searchin99

It's working just the way it is supposed to. Red values the inspector tell you that the parameter has been keyframed, and any changes will alter the existing keyframe or add a new one at the current point in time. Color coding for the record button in the playback controls does not equal the state of a parameter. For example, you don't have to enable the record button to enable animation recording. If you add a keyframe to any parameter, the value will turn red. Think of it as a way for the inspector to alert you that recording is always on for the parameter, regardless of the record button setting.

Jul 7, 2014 7:31 PM in response to GFXZen

Thanks for trying to help out. I read your reply all the while still thinking about what was written in the book, and what you said makes sense. But, I'm having some difficulty trying to understand what the book is saying now. I had thought that in Step 3, when the Command-Z is pressed to undo the rotation that it would undo the change. In fact, the Properties Inspector numbers were white but the Record Button was red - just the button, not the area in the button square surrounding the button. Elsewhere/somewhere, I saw that the entire square around the button would turn red.

Since there has been an update to "5" since the book was written one thought was the red square was changed to turn red.

Anyway, I can't do anymore on this for the time being as there are other thing I have to work on so I'll have to revisit this later. I hate doing any steps beyond what I know is "perfect" because I don't want to get off course with the book. There are a few other things in my life besides studying the Motion 5 book. Not a whole lot, but enough.

Side note: After my original post I discovered a few things to edit but couldn't get the site to allow me to edit. For one thing, it isn't "Chapter 4", for anyone reading the book it's "LESSON 4". Don't want to confuse anyone who comes by later.

Jul 14, 2014 6:31 PM in response to GFXZen

Thanks GFXZen for the comment. It takes a lot to understand everything that is going on and I kinda dread having a project of my own. Fortunately, as one goes though the lessons and takes notes, one gradually starts to remember things. What was once really difficult in Lesson one is now becoming easy.

Discovered there is an Errata item (there are actually three of them but one for this item). After the book was printed Apple changed the color of the record button so now the button turns to WHITE to indicate that recording is enabled.

One errata on P. 127, another on p. 129, and still another on p. 151.

5.1.1 Chapter 4 Step 3 to 4: Record Button turn WHITE when Parameters are RED

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.