Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMovie won't open

I have the current version of iMovie on Mavericks. Whenever I try to open it, the application says it's open, but no window opens. Whenever I right click on the application icon, it says the application is not responding. I've tried restarting the computer at this point. What should I do?

Posted on Jul 6, 2014 2:39 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 1, 2014 7:20 PM

Check out this list of things to try:

How do I trash the iMovie Preferences File? and Why?

Here's what worked for me and a bit about my situation:

--Logging into another user account, iMovie opened successfully.

--Last thing I remember doing in iMovie when it was working was exporting to Youtube. What's the last thing you remember doing?

--RESTORE your "iMovie Library.imovielibrary" from Time Machine. I restored from yesterday before I worked on that movie. This was my solution. Somehow the library got corrupted I guess. ...imagine if the only reason I chose Mac over PC five years ago was to ditch Windows Movie Maker for iMovie-- now this gets problems even more frequently! What's up with Apple 2014?

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 1, 2014 7:20 PM in response to slongtime

Check out this list of things to try:

How do I trash the iMovie Preferences File? and Why?

Here's what worked for me and a bit about my situation:

--Logging into another user account, iMovie opened successfully.

--Last thing I remember doing in iMovie when it was working was exporting to Youtube. What's the last thing you remember doing?

--RESTORE your "iMovie Library.imovielibrary" from Time Machine. I restored from yesterday before I worked on that movie. This was my solution. Somehow the library got corrupted I guess. ...imagine if the only reason I chose Mac over PC five years ago was to ditch Windows Movie Maker for iMovie-- now this gets problems even more frequently! What's up with Apple 2014?

iMovie won't open

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.