Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Finder acting weird - is this a big warning?

hi all,

i've been ignoring the fact that finder is acting very slow sometimes and acting weird.

for instance it sometimes takes 15 - 20 seconds for it to rename a file or to move a file. i have also been seeing that it will not COLLAPSE a folder and instead it gets stuck showing all the contents of a folder or simply becomes inactive or give a weird finder display.

my OS drive is showing 480 GB free and 170 GB utilized and my data drive is showing 1 TB used and 1 TB free. i am running Mountain Lion on a 2006 Mac Pro with 13 GB RAM.

is there some diagnostic and or repair routine that i can run?

also, is this the kind of thing where i should drop everything and run a set of extra backups? any way to determine if i should consider replacing the machine soon for any reason?

thanks for any help.

Posted on Jul 6, 2014 3:10 PM

1 reply

Jul 7, 2014 4:01 AM in response to hotwheels22

is there some diagnostic and or repair routine that i can run?

Yes.

The startup disk may need repairing.

Launch Disk Utility located in HD > Applications > Utillities

Select the startup disk on the left then select the First Aid tab.

Click: Verify Disk (not Verify Disk Permissions)

If DU reports errors, restart your Mac while holding down the Command + R keys. From there you should be able to access the built in utilities in OS X Recovery to repair the startup disk.

Make sure to back up all important data first before using OS X Recovery.

Finder acting weird - is this a big warning?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.