Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Hard drive crash? Folder with question mark

Hi everyone! I had problems with my macbook pro (early 2013). Last week, it slowed down suddenly and the laptop heats up during sleep. Then the hard drive recently crashed, at least I thought it crashed after it showed the folder with question mark during startup and did not show my old hard disk drive. Now I bought a 1TB WD mainstream hard drive disk, unfortunately it does not detect it in the internet recovery (disk utility). Now my question is, Do I have to do something with the hard drive first for my laptop to detect it? Like formatting it? The box said that it is compatible with mac OSx Lion, but my internet recovery lets me install Mountain Lion only. Is that the problem? or is the problem internal like the cable that connects the hard drive to the logic board?

Posted on Jul 6, 2014 3:37 PM

11 replies

Jul 7, 2014 10:59 AM in response to rporte18

That depends on the type of drive you have. If it is a standard external drive (in an enclosure) you can connect the drive with a USB cable.

If it is a bare drive like this:

User uploaded file

You will have to put it an enclosure and get a usb cable. External drive enclosure are < $10. They come in two sizes, 2.5" and 3.5". Buy one that's correct for your drive. http://www.amazon.ca/MOGOI-Enclosure-External--Silver-Accessory/dp/B00HC107R6/re f=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1404755872&sr=8-5&keywords=disk+enclosure

Hard drive crash? Folder with question mark

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.