Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Should I install Google chrome?

Can anyone advise about the use of google chrome with mavericks?

how does it compare with Safari?

if I install it, will there be a conflict with the mail software?

AT at the moment I have gmail accounts as well as icloud.

What would you recommend? Is there anything I would need to be aware of or cautious about?

Posted on Jul 6, 2014 6:41 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 6, 2014 6:58 PM

It's my preferred browser. No conflict whatsoever. I also like that your bookmarks are in sync when you sign into your google account.

19 replies

Jul 6, 2014 10:53 PM in response to paxima

Hello!

I would not recommend installing Google Chrome on your MacBook Air, because it drains the battery excessively!

Instead, I would recommend installing a free open source called Mozzila Firefox.

Mozzila Firefox is very customizable and has a great library of add-ons and themes.

Download Mozzila Firefox- http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/new/

Hope I helped 🙂

Jul 7, 2014 1:48 AM in response to paxima

Hello!

Thanks for the kind words!

Mozzila Firefox has been updated.

In the past Mozzila Firefox has had some MAJOR memory management issues, but all are fixed now!

Mozzila Firefox has also had a complete UI overhaul and is much faster now.

I have used Google Chrome, Opera, Mozzila Firefox & Apple Safari and they are all pretty good web browsers.

Hope I helped 🙂

Jul 7, 2014 1:48 AM in response to Ho Lee MACkeral

Hi Ho Lee

Thanks for your response.

Do you have issues with it being resource hungry?

Would it confuse things to have some email accounts on safari and some on chrome?

I ask because I would like to move business emails on to chrome and use g docs.

Mainly because the gmail 'flagging' system is very helpful, as my colleagues use the windows system.

Jul 7, 2014 2:38 AM in response to Lexiepex

Hi Lex

Thank you - that is a very straight answer!

I did a search before posting, but maybe my search question was not specific enough, so I found very little.

A friend had strongly recommended chrome as it was so very safe, and I thought it wise to check with a wider group which has had much more experience.

He says 'everyone' he knows uses chrome one their Macs because it is so safe and google filters are so good.

Being an infant in Mac systems (and a computing ignoramus generally) I felt I needed to know much more before making a decision.

I understand some of the pros (which are tempting), but not really the cons to make an informed decision. I certainly don't want to change just for the sake of changing!

Can you specify what sort of resource leaks? RAM? Battery?

And what sort of safety issues?

Thanks for your help

Jul 7, 2014 3:09 AM in response to paxima

Leaks: resources (general) thus ram, battery, cpu cycles. Chrome is fast but a sloppy programmed app, like most of the Google apps.

Firefox and Opera are fast and not leaky, and the security is much better than Chrome. So if you do not want Safari use one of the two, as I said.

"... 'everyone' he knows uses chrome..." That does not mean anything, just exposes a sort of "club" feeling.

Lex

Jul 7, 2014 3:30 AM in response to Lexiepex

Thanks Lex.

I am not wanting to change for the sake of it. And, yes, the 'club' feeling is what I needed to get beyond.

Hence my seeking advice. Thanks very much for your helpful response.

I do not want to install something that is going to be more hassle than it is worth, and basic performance is worth a lot to me.

I am not into games. The only app I use consistently is iTunes for music (and I find the filing system a pain in comparison with windows media), other than email and necessary (as opposed to recreational and social networking) internet browsing.

I appreciate your direct response. The 'helpful' icon seems to have disappeared otherwise I would click on it.

Should I install Google chrome?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.