Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Help: Stuck in an infinite loop with firmware update

Need some help here.

I have a 2013 21.5" iMac, running Mac OS X Mavericks 10.9.

Recently, during a firmware update, my kids pulled the cord (they claim innocence). Now, when I boot the machine, it goes to the white firmware update screen, does the full progress bar, and then shuts down.

It doesn't restart itself.

When I power it back on, it does the firmware update again.

How can I fix this? I have access to other Macs, USB keydrives, Firewire cable, etc. Just need to know exactly what to do. Tried searching the web, but didn't find an answer for this situation. I'd rather resolve myself than truck it down to the Apple Store.

Posted on Jul 6, 2014 5:51 PM

7 replies

Jul 6, 2014 6:10 PM in response to Linc Davis

I'm not sure I see the connection. The users in (all) of these other threads had updates that kept appearing in their app store as updates. I'm stuck in a boot-sequence that keeps installing a firmware update over and over again.

I could theoretically boot of a Mac OS X 10.9 Mavericks USB keydrive and try to reinstall Mac OS X, but will it even apply that over a new OS without wiping the drive?

I was imagining a simpler solution, something like:

- Boot off Mac OS X 10.9 USB Key

- Run Disk Utility, etc

Or something like:

- Boot the iMac in target disk mode, plugged into another mac by Thunderbolt

- Go to this folder - delete it

- Go to this plist - edit it

Not trying to be difficult, but doing a clean wipe & full restore will have it's own issues.

Adam

Jul 6, 2014 6:21 PM in response to adamnash

You can try this:

Intel-based Macs: Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC)

If that doesn't work, see below.

Make a "Genius" appointment at an Apple Store, or go to another authorized service provider.

Back up all data on the internal drive(s) before you hand over your computer to anyone. There are ways to back up a computer that isn't fully functional—ask if you need guidance.

If privacy is a concern, erase the data partition(s) with the option to write zeros* (do this only if you have at least two complete, independent backups, and you know how to restore to an empty drive from any of them.) Don’t erase the recovery partition, if present.

Keeping your confidential data secure during hardware repair

Apple also recommends that you deauthorize a device in the iTunes Store before having it serviced.

*An SSD doesn't need to be zeroed.

Jul 10, 2014 8:17 PM in response to adamnash

I posting the answer here, since I didn't get a valid one and someone may come looking for this issue some day.

The reason it was stuck in an infinite loop was... the hard drive could not mount. When my kids pulled the power cord, they must have hard crashed the drive. So the firmware update installed, but failed to be able to mark the hard drive as a boot drive.

To diagnose, I held down the Control-Key at boot. This gave me the startup manager for Mac OS 10.9, which allowed me to boot off a USB Key Drive I had set up as a bootable Install Mac OS X drive. Using Disk Utility, I could not repair the volume. But I could repair the partition map of the hard drive, re-partition around the bad blocks, and then do a clean install of Mac OS X 10.9.

Fortunately, I have dual backups, so restoring the machine will not be a problem. But it was surprising to me that I could not repair the volume, only repair at the partition level.

Adam

Help: Stuck in an infinite loop with firmware update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.