Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

set maximum of stepper unit off of cell

I would like to set the maximum range of a cell with stepper buttons by referencing another cell. In other words, if cell J10 contains the value "15", then the range for the stepper in cell K10 would be "0-15".

Posted on Jul 6, 2014 7:28 PM

9 replies

Jul 7, 2014 5:27 AM in response to mez275

So I have page #1 set up as a data base with column "A" giving a name, column "B" a percentage, and column "C" a numerical value. I have page #2 in which the name and percentage from the data base are pulled over into separate columns and a third column with the stepper counter. I would like the counter range to be limited by the numerical value in column "C". One reason I don't want to do all this manually, is the data base is updated periodically and sorted according to the "B" column, which in turn changes the order in page #2. I hope this makes sense.

Jul 7, 2014 6:40 AM in response to mez275

Hi Mez,

What are you choosing with the stepper? If it could work the way you imagine (it can't) what problem is it solving for you? What Barry and I are asking for is the big picture.

I understand how you have your stepper set up but you can't do what you want with it. What is the problem you are trying to solve that you hoped the stepper was the solution for?

quinn

Jul 7, 2014 8:27 AM in response to mez275

you can use a slider (or stepper) like this to kinda do what you are asking:

User uploaded file

B3 is a slider set up with a rang from 0 to 1 and a step of 0.1

B4=B3×(B1−B2)+B2

this is shorthand for select B4, then type (or copy and paste from here) the formula:

=B3×(B1−B2)+B2

this allows you now to adjust the sliders value based on the contents of the cells B1 and B2

Jul 7, 2014 10:38 AM in response to Wayne Contello

Page #1 (data base) column "A" name of product, column "B" percentage (has to do with product rating), column "C" number of product available.

Page #2 Column "A" name of product (pulled in from data base), column "B" percentage (pulled in from data base), column "C" percentage total (column "B" X column "D"), column "D" (had been stepper) number of product wanting to ship (needs to be limited by the number of product available which is entered in the data base, page #1). Does this make more sense?

Jul 7, 2014 10:49 AM in response to mez275

Hi Mez,

EDIT: Looking back to your most recent post, I see I misread the description and didn't make a very good match in the example below. I hope you can make some sense of it.

B

While you cannot make the stepper change its preset range, you could use conditional formatting to change the fill colour of the stepper cell to red when the stepper has been set to a value greater than the value in column C.

The formula(s) using the stepper value could also be revised to calculate their usual value only if the stepper value was less than or equal to the value in C, and to present a message when that condition was not met. This might also produce error triangles in any cells downstream from this formula, but these would clear when the stepper value (or the value in C) was corrected.

Here's an example. The results table is a lookup table containing the result to be returned for each value of the stepper cells. Steppers are in column B of the Main table, results are returned to column D:

User uploaded file

Cells in column B have

User uploaded file

The conditional format rule shown below. The example is for cell B2. The other cells in column B have the same rule, but use the column C cell in their own row as the holder of the value to be compared.

The formula in Main:: Column D is:

=IF(B>C,"Oh no!!",OFFSET(Results :: $A$1,1,B))

Enter in D2 and fill down to the rest of the cells in that column.

Examples constructed in Numbers '09. Numbers 3 will have a different appearance, but the rules are essentially the same.

Regards,

Barry

Jul 7, 2014 11:26 AM in response to mez275

Hi Mez,

So essentially, what you want to do is limit the value in Page 2::column C to (the lesser of column D and Page 1::Column C) multiplied by the percentage in column B.

I would suggest this approach:

On page 2:

Add a column after Column B. Pull the 'quantity available' value from Column C of page 1 to this new column.

Your percentage total calculation will now be in column D, and the 'wanted to ship' quantity (which may be a stepper) will be in column E.

Make the revisions below to the formula now in column D:

Original: D2: =B*D

Revised: D2: =B*MIN(C2,E2)

Note that it is necessary to specify the column and row for the cells in MIN(), otherwise MIN will condsider all values in these columns when choosing the MINimum.

Conditional formatting of cels in column E or C may be used to flag inappropriate values in column E if desired.

Regards,

Barry

set maximum of stepper unit off of cell

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.