Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have synced my ipod in months and when I tried to sync today it does not update my music additions and playlist changes

I have not synced my ipod in months and when I tried to today it did not update my music additions and changes to my playlists. Any suggestions?

Posted on Jul 6, 2014 8:09 PM

6 replies

Jul 7, 2014 1:40 AM in response to Brett Aniballi

1. Try a second Sync
  2. If the above doesn't work, connect the iPod to iTunes and lookon the Device/Summary pane. Make sure that Sync Music is selected and either Sync Entire Library or Sync Selected Playlists. User uploaded file
  3. If Sync Selected Playlists has been chosen, you now need to select the Playlist, or album etc. with your new music so that it too, can be synced.

Jul 7, 2014 2:41 PM in response to the fiend

Syncing does not do anything & I saw that I could go to music and sync entire library. But it wants to totally erase everything and re-sync. That sort of scares me because I spent so much time redoing my 60 playlists, many with over 1000 songs. And the big question is why is it not syncing like it always did dozens of other times over the years. Does it have anything to do with not syncing it in months???

Jul 7, 2014 3:03 PM in response to Brett Aniballi

If your iTunes wants to erase everything on the iPod and re-sync, that suggests that either iTunes has changed in some drastic way, or the iPod is being Synced with a different iTunes Library.

1. Is this the same iTunes library that you have always used?
  2. Have you Synced with another Library, or added media to the iPod from another Library, using Manually Manage?

Since this is an iPod Classic, the only things on it must have come through iTunes on a computer. If you have only been using this one iTunes Library to manage your Classic, then a "re-Sync" would simply remove everything from the iPod and put back what it finds in the Library. So providing you have not deleted your Library, the iPod would be filled with the same media as before.

The only exception would be any On-The-Go Playlists created on the iPod that you did not save to the Library. But since On-The-Go Playlists are just lists, all you would need to do is re-create the playlist from memory, or write it down before the Sync and re-create the Playlist from that.

Jul 7, 2014 3:34 PM in response to the fiend

This is the only iTunes library I have synced from and only to my iPod. But since I sent the last message I thought of why this may be happening: In February(?) I was backing up all of my files to a portable hard drive. I seemed to have a duplicate iTunes library for some reason. I did delete this and of course my iTunes library was gone! I went to the recycle bin to restore the library which worked with the exception of my playlists. I did not re-sync the iPod because I needed the playlists from the iPod for reference to remake them, which I have been working on for months. I just finished yesterday and tried to re-sync. The iPod says its synchronizing but the updated playlists and additional music I added during that time are not on the iPod. So I'm guessing because I restored the deleted library that may be why I need to re-sync (?). I know I could just try it, but with the hundred+ hours of time I've spent redoing the playlists I do not want to make a mistake that could force me to start over again! I tried calling Apple but I did not get through.

Jul 8, 2014 12:21 AM in response to Brett Aniballi

I think you may be correct, the re-sync is due to your re-build of your Library.

If you're happy that your re-built iTunes is now the same as your old build, then I think you have no choice, except to allow a Sync to take place. If you have re-built the Playlists in your Library, from the copy on your iPod, they should be synced to your iPod as well. I have seen posts in the past that say music has synced but Playlists have not. I still don't know why that should happen.

I have synced my ipod in months and when I tried to sync today it does not update my music additions and playlist changes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.