Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Failed boot camp install - how to remove windows partition?

Hi There,

After a failed boot camp install, boot camp no longer sees (or can remove) a windows partition - Disk Utility can't seem to remove it and if I use:

$ diskutil list

It shows up as partition 5 "Microsoft Reserved"

I also have a portion of free space that I can't seem to incorporate back into the main OSX partition - how do I remove the windows partition and make the drive a single OSX drive again?

Any help would be much appreciated

Cheers

Ben

- New Mac Pro

- Installing onto internal 1 TB SSD

- Windows 8.1

Posted on Jul 6, 2014 11:36 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 6, 2014 11:37 PM

You should not have used DU to remove the partition.

Now that you have, backup your disk. Erase and repartition and then restore the backup.

3 replies

Jul 8, 2014 1:19 PM in response to cmscss

Just incase others have this issue, this wasn't caused by using Disk Utility (Disk Utility couldn't remove the partition anyway) it was caused by repeatedly trying to format the Boot Camp partition using the Windows installer when Windows refused to install.

The solution is an Apple tech note (I can no longer find it sorry) that sates that no other hard drives besides the internal HD and the Windows USB flash drive can be connected while installing windows.

Cheers

Failed boot camp install - how to remove windows partition?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.