Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Startup Disk says it's full but it's not

Hi Guys

I wonder if somebody can help me please, I' having some serious problems with my computer at the moment. All of a sudden I get an error message along the lines of: "startup disk full etc etc" however the computer I'm using has over 160 Gb of space left on it. I've checked for viruses, repaired my permissions, deleted my 'deleted' mail and followed this thread but Startup Disk almost full - No Chance!!! but nothing seems to work, please can somebody help as I'm getting really worried about this.

I'm using a 2009 iMac 27" running Snow Leopard.

Thank you in advance.

Posted on Jul 7, 2014 3:44 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 7, 2014 3:50 AM

The startup disk may need repairing. Not the same as repairing permissions.

Launch Disk Utility located in HD > Applications > Utillities

Select the startup disk on the left then select the First Aid tab.

Click: Verify Disk (not Verify Disk Permissions)

If DU reports errors, start up from your Mac install disc to make repairs.

You mentioned that you checked for viruses. Do you have anti virus software installed. Or any apps such as MacKeeper or CleanMyMac?

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 7, 2014 3:50 AM in response to Lucy O'Hara

The startup disk may need repairing. Not the same as repairing permissions.

Launch Disk Utility located in HD > Applications > Utillities

Select the startup disk on the left then select the First Aid tab.

Click: Verify Disk (not Verify Disk Permissions)

If DU reports errors, start up from your Mac install disc to make repairs.

You mentioned that you checked for viruses. Do you have anti virus software installed. Or any apps such as MacKeeper or CleanMyMac?

Aug 17, 2015 6:21 AM in response to Carolyn Samit

My MBP 7.1 w 250GB HDD showing 10GB avail, with about 100GB actually used adding up the Users, Applications, Library, System, User Guides and Information calculated folder sizes in / .

Disk Utility found nothing wrong running it with the Hard drive or / selected.

Are there files or caches that didn't delete properly, or could the system be calculating the folder sizes incorrectly?

Startup Disk says it's full but it's not

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.