Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Uninstall completely software

I'm new user in Mac environment so I'm asking myself how to remove completely specific software into my MAC, I read I have to put my software to recycle basket.

I wish to remove also remaings, for example in personal folder, where installation setup stores data.

Can you suggest me rihht method, I'd not like to dirty my mac.

Posted on Jul 7, 2014 3:16 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 7, 2014 4:06 AM

There is no such thing.

Only well programmed apps that include a well programmed uninstaller.

Do not use crap software like Mackeeper and CleanMyMac and such since they are harmful for your mac, and their uninstallers leave things behind. The safest place to download software is the Appstore. Do never download software from such "aggregate" sites as Softonics, Cnet, and the like.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 7, 2014 4:06 AM in response to Rickyleroy

There is no such thing.

Only well programmed apps that include a well programmed uninstaller.

Do not use crap software like Mackeeper and CleanMyMac and such since they are harmful for your mac, and their uninstallers leave things behind. The safest place to download software is the Appstore. Do never download software from such "aggregate" sites as Softonics, Cnet, and the like.

Jul 7, 2014 4:40 AM in response to Lexiepex

I installed Canon software for my Camera to download photo creating automatically suitable folder structure, every day for every photos groups.

I noted Canon Installer created folder called 'Canon Utilities' inside DOCK, where I can see many icons (many icons have the same picture) and only few can be opened. I'd like to clean from this installation.

Can I find to search removal tool for Canon , as happened in Windows? Or I must to put 'canon utilities' into basket ?!?! Or I must move single icons to basket ?!?!

Thanks

Jul 7, 2014 5:24 AM in response to Rickyleroy

Yes, Canon puts a lot of little things in that folder in the Applications folder. It does that for all installs of apps that Canon has...

The best is not to uninstall any of those, because it is not sure what mix there is in combined drivers and plists. There are manuals and softwares in that folder. For example IJManual and IJScannerSelector. You will normally not see anything IJ...on the computer but is is an important driver for using the printer/scanner (and that driver should be in the SystemPreferences->Users&Groups->LoginItems to work). I would leave it as it is. Do not uninstall any, unless it says 'manual' or such, and then only dragging it to the trash is enough.

Lex

Jul 7, 2014 10:13 PM in response to Lexiepex

Canon software for my camera, unfortunately, cannot permit to choose applications to install so I reported this behavior to Canon.

Installation process includes in Applications section, 'Canon utilities' folder where there are many many utilities.

I have to try to remove software, what do you suggest me ? To throw out every single component of 'Canon Utilities' ( or directly whole folder into the trash?

Thank you again

Jul 11, 2014 12:32 AM in response to Vishal2014

It is much more complicated than written in this article you mention. And there are more more folders where you can find remnants of softwares. Also the distinction between apps that "control system behaviour" or "other software" is not relevant. A little example: there are not two but three Libraries: User Library, Main Library and System Library. And all three and the subfolders may be used by software install. And there are many more folders beside those that are mentioned in the article. Do not repeat what is in an article without doing some more investigation.

Uninstall completely software

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.