Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Recover corrupted Keychain Access database

Hello,

I forced a system restart when my storage was showing "Zero bytes available" in Finder, and the system was nearly complete frozen state; as I was opening many heavy load apps and files. The computer never shutdown since almost a week (only sleeps) which during this long working session some new passwords were added to the Keychain Access.

After the mentioned forced restart, the memory cleared some storage, and I managed to delete some other files to free additional space and avoid future occurrence; however, I noticed the following:

1. Launchpad folders and apps sorting was reset, that all my created folders were gone and apps were sorting in their default state.
  2. Keychain Access newly added passwords from the above mentioned frozen working session were also gone.

That to be said, I also noticed other weird actions like that most Apps were showing the message "You are opening this app for the first time", yet my main concern are the two above points.

Anyways, after some research, I managed to restore the Launchpad to its state using the corrupted database file located in Library/Application Support/Dock, but I could not resolve the Keychain Access problem.

Hence I guess Keychain Access can be fixed in a similar way, and wondering If anyone can help to restore its old database which included the new saved passwords.

Any help is truly appreciated,

Kind regards.

Posted on Jul 7, 2014 5:48 AM

8 replies

Jul 8, 2014 12:17 PM in response to MHD_MUS

The link works, but the servers are screwed up again.

From the article.

To reset your keychain in Mac OS X 10.4, Mac OS X 10.5, and Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard or later:

1. Open Keychain Access, which is in the Utilities folder within the Applications folder.
  2. From the Keychain Access menu, choose Preferences.
  3. Click General, then click Reset My Default Keychain.
  4. Authenticate with your account login password.
  5. Quit Keychain Access.
  6. Restart your computer.

Jul 10, 2014 4:35 PM in response to MHD_MUS

Hi there again;

I have the following updates noticed:

1. Not only the passwords that were added during the last working session were disappeared, but also other older passwords did.
  2. Some of the old saved passwords were modified with new ones, the latest modification for these passwords we also gone.
  3. I can see the Keychain Access has 2 kind of keychains that contain passwords; "login" and "local items", sometimes I have a feeling the problem is more related to the "local items" than that of the "login".

And hence I have more specified questions:

1. What is the difference between "login" and "local items" in Keychain Access?
  2. If I have Time Machine setup, but did not perform a backup for sometime; does the system keep a backup copy stored hidden somewhere till I get connected to the Time Capsule to transfer this backup? If the answer is yes, and I believe it is, where can I find this stored backup copies?

Once more, any hint is highly appreciated,

Kind regards.

Jul 11, 2014 7:36 AM in response to MHD_MUS

Go to Finder and select your user/home folder. With that Finder window as the front window, either select Finder/View/Show View options or go command - J. When the View options opens, check ’Show Library Folder’. That should make your user library folder visible in your user/home folder. Look in the Library/Keychains and then enter Time Machine.

Thanks to leonie for some information contained in this.

Recover corrupted Keychain Access database

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.