Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

adding extreme to my network

Hi everyone.

After many trial to expand my Time capsule network with old airport extreme I am asking you for a right way to do it:

Base config:

MacBook Pro 2.5 Ghz Intel core i5

8 gig 1600 Mghz DDR3

Airport Time Capsule

Base Network is named M1

Guest Network is named M2

With my Old Power Book I use the airport utility to create add an extreme airport via WDS as a relay:

The research for an available main network find the Guest network from the Time capsule named M2

The Network name on the device Extreme is M2 As requested.

The extreme is set to receive an Ip address vis DHCP.

I have to add a distant airport extreme to the relay configuration that is found by the configurator.

The network name of this device is also M2

When I reboot the relay device, it check the distant device and configure it correctly.

The relay device is rebooted.

Under the wi-fi Icon of my powerBook, I see the M2 network,

The network is said to be connect to the internet.

But there no connexion at all.

Am I doing things as it should be ?

Thanks

Robert

Posted on Jul 7, 2014 7:41 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 7, 2014 1:42 PM

WDS will not work. This is not used on the N wireless wireless routers.. it sounds like you are trying to use a G wireless version extreme and it will not work.

You can use ethernet to a different location in the house (or homeplug with some issues). And setup the Airport as AP, so it can link back.. but it will never work without using all N or AC wireless routers now.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 7, 2014 1:42 PM in response to Patro

WDS will not work. This is not used on the N wireless wireless routers.. it sounds like you are trying to use a G wireless version extreme and it will not work.

You can use ethernet to a different location in the house (or homeplug with some issues). And setup the Airport as AP, so it can link back.. but it will never work without using all N or AC wireless routers now.

adding extreme to my network

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.