Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Announcement

Introducing the iPad Pro with Apple M4 chip, the redesigned iPad Air in two sizes, and the all‑new Apple Pencil Pro. Watch the event >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

rectangle on ipad home page

I am trying to help my 80 year old mother with her ipad. When I open the home page and try to slide the "slide to open" a black rectangle with a white border appears around the "slide to open" and won't allow it to work. The same happens around the date, time, and camera icon. I plugged the ipad into my macbook pro, but Itunes wants the pass code. Unfortunately, I cannot get to the keypad page to enter the passcode because of the black/white rectangles. I have also started and restarted it many times. No luck. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Posted on Jul 7, 2014 8:37 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 7, 2014 8:47 AM

Sounds like Voice over is activated. Does the iPad say things when tapping on different things?

If so try triple clicking the home button to de-activate Voice over.

3 replies

rectangle on ipad home page

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.