Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What happened to the sound effects in Garageband after in app purchase of $4.99 expansion pack?

I purchased a brand new MacBook Pro OS Mavericks and promptly began using Garageband 10.0.2. There were many sound effects provided in the program (thunder, galloping horses, etc.), and I decided to complete the in app purchase. Once I completed the download and install, I realized that I no longer had those sound effects. Does any one know what happened to them?

Posted on Jul 7, 2014 9:52 AM

5 replies

Jul 7, 2014 10:10 AM in response to schardcore

Galloping Horses and thunder are not part of the GarageBand sound effects. You have probably other loop packages installed, for example the Final Cut Pro Sound Effects or the iLife Sound Effects.

Check, how your Loop Browser is set. The pop-up menu at the top of the Loop Browser should be set to "Loops" to have all loops available. Set the "Scale" to any, clear the search field. In the GarageBand Preferences, "Loops" pane disable "Keyword Browsing", filter for more relevant results.

Now you should be able to see all installed loops. If not, use the command "Reindex all Loops" from the "Loops" pop-up menu.

User uploaded file

Jul 7, 2014 10:53 AM in response to schardcore

Check, if the loops are still installed.

I am seeing the iLife Sound Effects and Final Cut Pro Sound Effects in the folder

/Library/Audio/Apple Loops/Apple/

Check in the Library if the loops are still installed on your Mac:

User uploaded file

If the loops are still there, run the "reindex all Loops" I have shown in the screenshot in my last post.

If the loops are missing, check your Time Machine backups, if you have a backup copy of the loops.

Installing the in-app purchase should not have removed older loop packages. Have you run any cleaning applications to uninstall software?

Jul 7, 2014 11:04 AM in response to léonie

They aren't there. My MacBook Pro was literally 3 days old when I first began using Garageband, and I had all of those sounds included in the version of GB when I began playing with it. Once I decided I wanted to add the expansion pack, they have all disappeared. That was the first time I had ever used Garageband since it's my first Mac, so I had no idea that I'd lose those if I downloaded the pack.

What happened to the sound effects in Garageband after in app purchase of $4.99 expansion pack?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.