Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

.av file Police Cam Video

I am trying to view a police cam video that was burned on a disk. The file extension is .av but this is unrecognized by my mac. I have a MacBook Pro, Version 10.9.4. Anyone know of a converter that works with .av files (not .avi)? I have tried VLC (I think that's what it's called) to no avail. Thank you.

Posted on Jul 7, 2014 10:16 AM

4 replies

Jul 7, 2014 12:19 PM in response to ccstar2831

I am trying to view a police cam video that was burned on a disk. The file extension is .av but this is unrecognized by my mac. I have a MacBook Pro, Version 10.9.4. Anyone know of a converter that works with .av files (not .avi)? I have tried VLC (I think that's what it's called) to no avail.

Can you upload a sample file? A quick check of the internet did not locate any .av sample clips and a check of various manufacturer sites indicate a number of compression formats can be used—i.e., most in the MPEG-4 ASP@L5 through MPEG-4 AVC (H.264) full 1080p HD arena with unspecified profiles and encoding levels. By examining a sample clip, it might be possible to file a simple workaround for viewing such files or converting them to a standard already supported under Mavericks.

User uploaded file

Jul 7, 2014 12:58 PM in response to ccstar2831

See if mediainfo can work out what format it is…

http://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo/Download/Mac_OS

The non-app store version is ugly but it can give you the info for free, or get the app store version.

https://itunes.apple.com/app/mediainfo/id510620098

Post screenshots of the results (cmd+shift+4, tap spacebar, click on the window - upload the image from the Desktop).

Quicktime 7 may play it, but the .av extension seems like it is a weird container format?

QuickTime Player 7 for Mac OS X v10.6.3 or later

It may also be worth using the unix file command to see if it can tell us anything useful…

Open Terminal (in /Applications/Utilities/) type the next line

file

(there is a space after 'file')

Drag & drop the desired file into the window & hit return.

Tell us what the result says.

.av file Police Cam Video

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.