Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

logic pro 9 extreme fail

Hi.

I bought logic pro 9 painfully near the release of logic pro x. Obviously if I'd known x was coming out I wouldn't have done so, but never mind.
Regardless, I'm having issues with 9 at the moment - when the playhead moves it leaves a trail of blackness everywhere. I have no idea why, but when I looked elsewhere on here, the suggestion was to upgrade to 9.1.8. I checked and realised I was still on 9.1.6, so I downloaded the upgrade from apple and tried to install it.

I was met with the following message...
"The version of Logic Pro installed on this Mac must be updated through the Mac App Store. Check the Mac App Store to see if an update is available."

Of course, this is impossible now, since the app store only has logic pro x.

Is there any way to get around this or are apple just forcing me to pay yet another £140 if I want to keep using their software?
I like apple products, but they really seem to screw you over when it comes to upgrades/updating.

Posted on Jul 7, 2014 12:50 PM

16 replies

Jul 7, 2014 3:33 PM in response to Pancenter

Thanks so much for taking the time to reply.
I had a look at purchases as you suggested, and sure enough it gave me the option to update there. However, when I clicked on it (after signing in), it gave me the message... "Error 1004 please try again later."
I googled the error, but it seems like it can mean a number of different things. When I clicked on the actual app it said "the item is not currently available in the uk store". It seems that it may just be that apple have stopped allowing anyone to update, and that instead customers are only allowed to buy logic pro x. £140 is a great price for the app, however it is still a lot of money for people like me.

No wonder there's so much piracy!

Jul 8, 2014 5:41 AM in response to Pancenter

Hmm.

Well, obviously I believe you and octopi, but it still won't let me do it. I haven't moved L9 from the folder and I haven't renamed it. Since octopi can update then it can't be because of me being in the UK. octopi, when did you update though? It could be that the update was only allowed up to a certain date maybe?

If you guys (or anyone else) have any other ideas it would be much appreciated.

Cheers.

Jul 9, 2014 5:57 AM in response to octopi

octopi,

Unfortunately that version of the update only works if you installed from the original DVD set of Logic Studio...

If you initially bought LP9 via the app store you must use the App store update version and not the stand alone version....

So....

To the OP.. Try the following..

Sign out of the Mac App Store... (Under the Store menu item)

Quit the Mac App Store App..

Launch the Mac App Store App..

Sign in again.... using the same Apple ID you used to purchase LP9 from the App Store originally...

Look out for any new Terms and Conditions form you may have to agree to...

Now try again.... to download from the update tab..

Failing that...

Make a backup of the LP9 app... and then delete it from applications folder..

Now restart your Mac and go to the purchase tab in the App Store app.. and download and install LP9 again.. That will be the 9.1.8 version...

Jul 9, 2014 9:25 AM in response to The Art Of Sound

Thanks for your help and advice, guys.

Unfortunately it's still not working after trying those steps, art of sound.

I read somewhere that trashing the app store preferences might work, but it seems that maybe the way to do it has changed since the posts I read.
In the posts I saw, you had to go and delete certain files from the library (in cookies and preferences), however I didn't have any of the files they'd named in those folders, and after a search on my mac, it seemed I don't have them anywhere!

Jul 9, 2014 12:22 PM in response to mr. alice

mr. alice wrote:

Unfortunately it's still not working after trying those steps, art of sound.

Including these steps?

Failing that...

Make a backup of the LP9 app... and then delete it from applications folder..

Now restart your Mac and go to the purchase tab in the App Store app.. and download and install LP9 again.. That will be the 9.1.8 version...

if this didn't work.. what exactly happened as I have never heard of this not working unless you aren't using the same Apple ID that you used to purchase LP9 in the first place?

In the posts I saw, you had to go and delete certain files from the library (in cookies and preferences), however I didn't have any of the files they'd named in those folders, and after a search on my mac, it seemed I don't have them anywhere!

You are looking in the wrong library...

The correct one is your User Library and not the System Library....

The files in question are located in ~/Library/Preferences/

com.apple.storeagent.plist

com.apple.appstore.plist

Quit all applications on your Mac, delete the two files above, and reboot your Mac. After the reboot, launch the Mac App Store and you should see the behavior of the “Purchases” and “Updates” categories returned to normal.

To access the User Library...

Open Finder...

Press Command+Shift+G

Now type in exactly the path as shown below

~/Library/Preferences/

Press return...

....and you will find the files in your Finder window...

Jul 9, 2014 3:08 PM in response to The Art Of Sound

Thanks, Art of Sound. I really appreciate you taking the time to help me out on this.

Using your advice, I was able to find and delete the preferences. After rebooting, I was really hopeful this would work but it didn't seem to make any difference.

Regarding your question on "including these steps?", I did include those steps. I backed up LP9 on an external hard-drive, and also onto my desktop. I then deleted it from the applications folder. I then restarted my mac and opened the app store to try again, with exactly the same frustrating results as before (Error 1004, please try again later, etc.).

Would it make a difference that I seem to have two applications folders?

I just noticed that there. If I just click on the Macintosh HD, it lists a bunch of folders, including applications, library and users. If I click on the user there is also an applications folder. All the applications appear to be in the HD folder, while the user folder seems to be empty. Is this normal?

Thanks again for your help so far, and for any more help you could give.

Jul 9, 2014 3:32 PM in response to mr. alice

I just noticed that there. If I just click on the Macintosh HD, it lists a bunch of folders, including applications, library and users. If I click on the user there is also an applications folder. All the applications appear to be in the HD folder, while the user folder seems to be empty. Is this normal?

That is normal. One folder is the main System Applications folder.. where most applications can be found..The other being the less used User Applications folder... which typically is empty.

Just to confirm.. once you followed those steps about deleting the LP9 app from the applications folder.. .. after rebooting... you then went to the Mac App Store and under the Purchase tab, you clicked on the Install/Download button on the far right of the LP9 entry? It was then you got the error 1004 msg?

If not.... then try again...

If so....

The 1004 error is a known issue.... and these instructions should help...

Help for error 1004

Follow them exactly and note: once again, these are both User Library folders and not System Library Folders so if you cannot find them you are looking in the wrong library... but following the instructions to the letter, should be foolproof....

Then delete the LP9 app again (if it is still in the System Applications folder.., restart your Mac.. and try the purchase tab once more... to download and install the full version of LP9.. which will be 9.1.8

Note: Do not try to click on the LP9 icon in the Purchase tab nor anywhere else in the Mac App Store.. else you will likely get more weird errors... Just click on the install/download button to the far right of the LP9 entry under the Purchase tab

Jul 10, 2014 4:48 AM in response to The Art Of Sound

Hey again,

Yes, after I followed those steps about deleting the app, after rebooting, I then went to the Mac App Store and under the Purchase tab, i clicked on the button to the far right of the LP9 entry. However, the button still just said "update", rather than download/install. As though the app store was still somehow aware that I had the app. I will try just backing it up onto an external drive and seeing if that makes a difference.

This is what also happened after trying the 1004 error steps.

Thanks again!

Jul 10, 2014 4:55 AM in response to mr. alice

Hi,

The fact the button says Update means that the Logic Pro 9 app (or an extra copy of) is still located on your Mac somewhere.... as it's being found by the system hence the Update button instead of the Install or Download button under Purchases...

(Make sure any backup copy you made is not on a drive still connected to your Mac for example)

If you cannot locate the extra copy yourself...

Try this...

Download the demo app Find Any File... from here..

http://apps.tempel.org/FindAnyFile/

...and use it to search for the app on your system drive....

If it finds any extra copies, delete them then restart your Mac and then try again...

Jul 10, 2014 5:04 AM in response to The Art Of Sound

Hey!

That's it fixed! Thank you very much. It was as simple as that. Whenever I'd deleted the copy from the apps folder, the app store was still reading it from wherever else I had it saved on the mac/connected external drive.

All I had to do was follow your advice... close the app store, back-up LP9 onto an external drive, delete the original LP9, disconnect the external and re-open the app store. Then, under the purchases tab it gave me the option to install the app again. It re-installed as the 9.1.8 version.

Thanks for all your help! Will mark this post as the "answer", so that anybody else who checks out this post will be able to quickly get your advice from the summarised paragraph above.

Cheers.

logic pro 9 extreme fail

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.