Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Buying a 2007 MacBook

I'm looking into getting a laptop for a younger cousin and I was wondering if a 2007 MacBook would do the trick. They aren't too bad spec wise and sell for decent prices. I believe a model with a Core 2 Duo and enough RAM will even run Mavericks, and if not that at least Lion. I was also thinking to get one for myself for casual use considering I already have a capable computer for intense stuff. Also, would a CPU upgrade be possible to increase its life a little bit? I suppose I could switch out the mother board with a 2.18 GHz Core 2 Duo, or what ever the fastest is for that model. I suppose I could get one with a faster video chip as well.( I can't remember if they were intergraded into CPU or seperate GPU's) Any thoughts?

Thanks

Posted on Jul 7, 2014 12:36 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 7, 2014 2:13 PM

Mavericks requites late 2008 MacBook or later which have 64bit EFI.

GPU is Intel GMA X3100 as far as I remember.

And it's quite hard to replace CPU as well as mother board, I suppose.

5 replies

Jul 7, 2014 4:41 PM in response to VinnyB2012.5

2007 is just a little too old for Mavericks, and I feel that it makes no sense to invest money in a setup that cannot run the most current software.

A cpu upgrade to a laptop, even if it could be done, makes no sense. Instead, a solid state drive would give you a spectacular performance boost, and this is a diy project.

Post back if you want to pursue this option further.

Jul 7, 2014 4:46 PM in response to Eustace Mendis

I do see upgrading making no sense but I'm just saying it would give it a little more time but since it can't run Mavericks anyways it wouldn't be worth it. If it could then maybe. However, Lion isn't that old and can still run most programs. All in all it would.be a child's computer, so the most up to date stuff wouldn't really matter as much if it were mine or yours. Thanks for the the answer.

Jul 8, 2014 3:17 PM in response to VinnyB2012.5

Apple recently dropped the prices on the MacBook Airs by $100. Best Buy has been offering additional discounts on the Air. Prices start around $850. An iPad might be another option you should check out.

The chances of something bad happening to a laptop this old is pretty high. Not sure what you are thinking of paying for it, but It's not worth much at this age.

Buying a 2007 MacBook

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.