Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Disabling Java Auto Update Check

I work for a large company that uses Deep Freeze on all of our Mac machines. Therefore, we turn off "auto-updating" in all applications that have an "auto-update" or "check for updates" feature.

When it comes to Java, we run into problems. Java (found in System Preferences) has an auto-updating feature which reads, "Check for Updates Automatically". We obviously uncheck the box, apply the change, and click "OK". But the problem is, when you re-open the Java Preferences, the check magically re-appears!!!!! It seems that there is no way to turn it off!!! The check ALWAYS re-appears!!!!

We thought that maybe it's a glitch and we were hoping the auto-updating feature is actually staying off, but our employees are getting pop-up windows asking them to update Java!!!

Does anybody know how to disable the "check for updates" feature in Java???

Thanks for taking the time to read this and I hope it made sense!!!

I've attached a screenshot of the "Update" window in Java preferences.

User uploaded file

Posted on Jul 7, 2014 12:59 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 7, 2014 1:41 PM

This worked for me - In Terminal

sudo defaults write /LibraryPreferences/com.oracle.java.Java-Updater JavaAutoUpdateEnabled -bool false

7 replies

Jul 8, 2014 12:53 PM in response to disguise

Disguise,

That worked!!! Thank you so much!!!! But I think you had a typo in your script..... you need to add an extra "/" between Library and Preferences. But OH MY GOD..... I cannot believe that it worked!!!!!!!!!!! You are a genius!!!!!

Diane,

We are completely on top of security threats, but thank you for the advice!!! We update Java and Flash manually the day the updates are released. We just don't want our computers checking for updates all day every day, or our employees running the updates themselves, because once they restart their computers, they simply go back to the way they were when we last froze them (using Deep Freeze).

Thank you EVERYBODY for your input!!!

Oct 7, 2015 6:40 AM in response to macfay

I got fix for this.

The above mentioned command was not working because no such file was existing at this location. If you create a file using below command and deploy it on all Macs, it will work 🙂

defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.oracle.java.Java-Updater.plist JavaAutoUpdateEnabled -bool false

Disabling Java Auto Update Check

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.