Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Snapchat draining battery when opened. Phone problem or app problem?

Whenever I open snapchat on my iPhone 5 it drains the battery. My phone was at 50% the other day and after opening the app it went down to 1%. The strange part is that once I plug my phone into the charger, it will immediately go back to 50%. Is this a problem with my phones battery or is it the app? I've had the phone for almost two years now and it only started doing this recently.

Posted on Jul 7, 2014 1:15 PM

12 replies

Jan 3, 2017 11:54 AM in response to Duncan B

I have been experience the exact same thing. With Snapchat and with the cold. Have you been able to fix this issue ? My husband did a factory reset on my phone but it was still doing the same thing. I deleted the Snapchat app and so now I'm waiting to see if my battery dies as fast. What's weird too is that my phone will be at 1% and on power saving mode for HOURS! Last night my phone was at 1% for 4 hours, using it like normal and it never died.

Jul 8, 2014 3:22 PM in response to Petitepeet

Reset: Simultaneously hold down the Home and On buttons until the device shuts down. Ignore the off slider if it appears. Once shut down is complete, if it doesn't restart on it own, turn the device back on using the On button. In some cases it also helps to double click the Home button and close all apps BEFORE doing the reset.

This will not cause you to lose any data or settings. Basically the equivalent of rebooting a PC.

Jul 10, 2014 4:49 AM in response to Petitepeet

I don't use SnapChat, so can't tell you specifically what to look for, but check settings both in the App itself and in the Settings app. see if there is anything that could account for this. also check:

• Settings App > Privacy > Location Services and perhaps turn it off for the app (unless you think you really need it).
  • Settings App > General > Background App Refresh and turn off SnapChat.

However, based on what you are describing, I'm not sure that would help. You might consider a restore, but I would delete SnapChat before doing a backup to restore from, and then reinstall.

Otherwise, you might want to reach out to the app's vendor support.

Dec 19, 2016 9:04 AM in response to Petitepeet

I have the same problem now with my iPhone 6. It's only about a year and half old but the battery seems to be going haywire. Or at least the icon is not showing how much battery life I really have.

When I open snapchat my battery will drop enormously and I plug it back in only to fin the battery jump up to its original percentage.

Sometimes my phone will unexpectedly die at 40 or even 50% battery, and when reconnected to a charger will reboot only to indicate 50% battery once again. This happens so often I tend to call it a jumpstart.

The issue also seems to be amplified by the cold. On a good day I have about twenty seconds when I take my phone out of my pocket to when the thin metal freezes over and the phone dies.

The regular battery percentage also seems to drop much faster than normal.

Snapchat draining battery when opened. Phone problem or app problem?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.