Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone won't charge after upgrade to iOS 7.1.2 upgrade

I recently upgraded to iOS 7.1.2, as recommended, and the iPhone has become increasingly more and more difficult and now impossible to charge. There were no other changes on the iPhone. When I first got the 5S, charging was slow, but compared to now, it charges intermittent or not at all, even after having it plugged in all day or all night. Even when fully charged, it runs down rapidly as soon as it is disconnected. I tried everything recommended on the Apple support Website to no avail, from turning off numerous option settings to turning off the device completely and restarting. Charging has gotten worse and worse, with no rhyme or reason as to why, sometimes (although few and far between) even charging right up. This is happening no matter which way it is charged: electric outlet, computer, car charge. I upgraded my iPhone from the previous model 6 months ago and the charging and battery drain has been a problem from the onset, but now it is impossible. I had no problem with the last model and the charge lasted nearly the entire day. The new version is terrible and I am close to looking at other options, despite liking my iPhone.

Posted on Jul 7, 2014 2:53 PM

19 replies

Jul 10, 2014 9:56 PM in response to jonjfitzpatrick

Does apple ever respond to the issues posted here? I'm having a charging problem similar to this, but all my chargers that came with my devices start charging for a second then my phone shows "This accessory may not be supported.", even though it is a genuine apple charger like i said.

It just started after an attempt to install the 7.1.2 update froze for over an hour right at 50%, and I did a hard reset on the phone. After it restarted it showed the same installing update screen, but it only went to 50% again then it proceeded to the home screen. I thought all was well after that, until I tried to plug my phone in at work today with an apple usb cable connected to my PC. It showed the error message "This accessory may not be supported." and stopped charging. After I got home I tried to put it on my iHome dock, which I'm not sure if that is an official apple device, but the same message appears and it stops charging. So I tried out my 10v wall charger that came with my "New iPad" and it seemed to work for a couple minutes, but then the message appeared again!

I did a full reset just now, and it is still occurring while plugged into my home PC with an apple usb cable. I'm pretty sure it has something to do with the fact that the new update failed and I had to hard reset it, possibly causing some issues. I thought the full reset would actually reset everything and re-install the ios and possibly fix it, but I don't think it actually re-installed, it seemed to just wipe all the data and have me set up from an iCloud backup.

My phone is about 5% now and I'm afraid it will not make it through the night, and I rely on the alarms set to get up for work every morning, so this is very important to have this fixed somehow. I'm just not sure what else I should try at this point. Very disappointing!

Jul 13, 2014 8:43 AM in response to jonjfitzpatrick

I'm having the same problem with my iPhone 4. I am using (and have always used, I believe) an Apple charging cable. After upgrading to IOS 7.1.2, I always get "This accessory may not be supported" when trying to charge my iPhone. The iPhone is useless now, as I cannot charge it and the battery level is red-lined. My iPhone 3gs, iPhone 5, and iPad 3 can all charge from the same source (either computer USB or electical socket wall jack w/USB). The same cables that work for the 3gs and iPad 3 will not work for the iPhone 4 - and I have tried every cable I have. It seems that Apple broke something in IOS 7.1.2.

Jul 13, 2014 11:04 PM in response to jonjfitzpatrick

My Husband just did the 7.1.2 update and now his ipad wont charge... If we leave it on charge it charges extremely slowly as in 16 hrs it's gone from 9% to 22% charged. We have gone through all the fixes listed online and nothing is working. It was definitely the update which has caused the issue as it was charged just before the update and now it wont charge.

Jul 14, 2014 5:42 AM in response to jonjfitzpatrick

I haven't seen any response by Apple, but there may be no resources assigned to Support Communities (my guess). I tried charging with a new charger purchased separately from Apple. It actually charged both devices, but what I do not understand is why neither charger that came with the iPhone and iPad worked at all. It seems very odd that both have the same problem and a new one worked.

Jul 16, 2014 4:16 PM in response to jonjfitzpatrick

The reason why this is happening is because with every single patch, Apple is increasing the power requirements on how the phone will charge. This means if it's plugged into a source that doesn't have enough power, the cord will not interact with it, or at least will interact with it intermittently. The phones won't charge properly, and it will kill your battery if it's continually being disconnected from the power source, during the charge.

This is an Apple problem, and something they've done since IoS 7. They have for whatever reason increased the power requirements for the cord to even read the power source. Now, it was my understanding that this new patch was supposed to fix that problem, but from what I'm seeing via the feedback, it has gotten worse. I can attest to it as well.

Jul 31, 2014 10:09 AM in response to MysticRising

Replying to myself and to Bcochran70. It was Bcochran70 that got me started down the right path. On his suggestion, I tried cleaning the dock connector. I had some really small brushes to clean small orifices like a headphone jack as well as rubbing alcohol and compressed air for electronics. I used the brush dipped in the alcohol and cleaned the dick connector - boy was there a lot of crap in there. I'm pretty sure I cleaned it thoroughly, but it still wouldn't work. I ordered a replacement dock connector from ifixit.com (~$17, you can find them cheaper). After replacing the dock connector (took about 30 minutes, read the instructions at ifixit.com) it now works. I can charge from all the USB cables that I used to charge from before. I'm not sure why it stopped working after ios 7.1.2 update, perhaps it was just coincidental or maybe ios 7.1.2 has more diagnostic checks.

Sep 5, 2014 11:54 AM in response to MysticRising

The same exact problem as MysticRising is happening to my iphone 4 and started the same night I upgraded to IOS 7.1.2. Yesterday I went to one of the Apple stores in Chicago seeking for help. At first they checked the dock and didn't find anything but after a few minutes they came back to me saying that my dock was rusted because it has been in contact with water, snow or other type of liquid and that's the reason it won't charge and she recommend to buy a new iphone. They tried to show me that there were a few green and blue spots in the dock which indicated the phone had been exposed to water. Today I asked several people in my office (8 people) to find any signs of rusting in the dock but no one could find it. Only the person that helped me and the manager at the Old Orchard Apple Store were able to see it. I let phone charging last night and this morning it was fully charged although the charging symbol never showed up in the screen. According to the manager at the store, that means there is something wrong with the wet circuits. The fact is, my phone was perfectly fine 4 days ago until I decided to upgrade to IOS 7.1.2 and it didn't rain in my neighborhood.

Sep 7, 2014 1:58 PM in response to jonjfitzpatrick

I've been fighting with the same issue for the last month. And it started shortly after upgrading my iOS to 7.1.2. I have tried some of the suggestions and nothing has worked for the long term. Currently, using the rubbing alcohol seems to be a temp fix, as the message will appear repeatedly as I plug the charger in. I have multiple iPhone charges and I get the same messages. I am about ready to toss this overpriced "coolness" out the fracking window and go buy a Samsung Galaxy S5 or the new HTC. Cause the Apple customer service line was useless and so were idiots at the local Apple store.

Sep 8, 2014 7:35 AM in response to JDavidC

I returned both chargers to Apple and they replaced the old ones. Apparently the type of chargers that they were using have been problematic. I noticed that the new design for the wire connection is completely different. I haven't had an issue so far, but that remains to be seen. A lot of people are telling me favorable things about the Samsung Galaxy.

iPhone won't charge after upgrade to iOS 7.1.2 upgrade

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.