Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What is the difference between Aperture photo index number and Aperture photo sequence number?

I want to begin using a consistent naming format for imported photographs. I'd like to understand what photo "sequence number" is and what photo "index number" is. When would you use one instead of the other, etc. Thank you.

Posted on Jul 7, 2014 2:31 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 8, 2014 9:43 AM

I'd like to understand what photo "sequence number" is and what photo "index number" is.
  • A "sequence number" format will create names with numbers within a number range starting by one, for example "myname (10 of 20)", if you are importing 20 images.
  • An "index number" format will create a single number, without the "of 20", and the last index can be kept as starting point for the next import, if you want to start with the last number.

You can see, what the predefined formats are doing, if you set the "Rename Files" to "Edit". The edit panel will show you an example filename and you can configure the format string to your own needs, by dragging items from the palette to the string. Use the "+" button to create your own preset, if you do not want to modify the pre fined presets.

User uploaded file

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 8, 2014 9:43 AM in response to darfromNC

I'd like to understand what photo "sequence number" is and what photo "index number" is.
  • A "sequence number" format will create names with numbers within a number range starting by one, for example "myname (10 of 20)", if you are importing 20 images.
  • An "index number" format will create a single number, without the "of 20", and the last index can be kept as starting point for the next import, if you want to start with the last number.

You can see, what the predefined formats are doing, if you set the "Rename Files" to "Edit". The edit panel will show you an example filename and you can configure the format string to your own needs, by dragging items from the palette to the string. Use the "+" button to create your own preset, if you do not want to modify the pre fined presets.

User uploaded file

What is the difference between Aperture photo index number and Aperture photo sequence number?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.