Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I get "rotating beach ball of doom" on podcasts with 12.2.2. Any fixes available or planned?

/

Posted on Jul 7, 2014 2:53 PM

4 replies

Jul 7, 2014 4:04 PM in response to jfc_md_phd

Back up all data.

Triple-click anywhere in the line below on this page to select it:

~/Library/Containers/com.apple.MediaLibraryService

Right-click or control-click the line and select

Services Reveal in Finder (or just Reveal)

from the contextual menu.* A folder should open with an item selected. Quit the application if it's running. Move the selected item to the Trash. Relaunch the application and test.

*If you don't see the contextual menu item, copy the selected text to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C. In the Finder, select

Go Go to Folder...

from the menu bar and paste into the box that opens by pressing command-V. You won't see what you pasted because a line break is included. Press return.

Jul 8, 2014 4:12 PM in response to Linc Davis

Linc,

I may have done the process incorrectly because I still have the problem.

The problem may be based in iTunes pushing podcasts downloads to the cloud.

Previously, I could download ppdcasts to my MacBook Pro.

Now the cloud symbol appears next to downloaded podcasts.

When I attempt to access a podcast, it appears that all my podcasts (approx 600 episodes) then start to download.

This appears to be resource intensive and evidently takes a lot of memory (and time).

If I let the process go, the spinning ball eventually stops and I can access most podcasts. But, this takes quite a bit of time and must be repeated if I go out of iTunes then try to re-enter.

Some podcasts can no longer be played. On some I get the message that the updated iTunes is not compatable with Quick Time.

There is no problem with music downloads. They are not cloud based.

Once again, Thanks.

- Jack

Jul 8, 2014 6:23 PM in response to jfc_md_phd

Back up all data.

As a test, please move the iTunes library folder from the Music folder (or wherever you keep it in your home folder) to the Desktop. If you've moved the library folder to another volume, unmount the volume.

Quit and relaunch the application. It may prompt you to create a new library, or to select an existing one. Create a new one and import a few tracks. Test.

After testing, quit again and put the original library back where it was, replacing the test library. Post your results.

Jul 13, 2014 11:50 PM in response to jfc_md_phd

hi

the issue is on the apple podcast server side. not on local machines.

- opening iTunes 11.3 on mac gives you a spinning ball if you:

- are subscribed to more than a "few" podcasts. i am subscribed to about 10 or so.

- the amount of time there is a spinning ball is dependent on both the number of podcasts you are subscribed to AND the speed of your internet connection

the issue of there being a Cloud icon next to podcasts that SHOULD have been downloaded (according to the settings you have made) is separate bug and was introduced in iTunes 11.2 and is still not fixed. this bug results in your needing to manually download podcasts.

thanks

I get "rotating beach ball of doom" on podcasts with 12.2.2. Any fixes available or planned?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.