Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhoto won't open after Mavericks toSnow Leopard downgrade

Hi,

recently I've upgraded my OS to Mavericks, but I really did not like the performance on the new OS, so I decided to move back to Snow Leopard. I did backup all my information with Time Machine before downgrading, but to my surprise nothing would work afterwards, particularly iPhoto. I've tried even upgrading back to Mavericks to see if I could retrieve my pictures and then downgrade again, but when I tried it I got a message saying that my mac couldn't be upgraded to Mavericks.

Does anyone know a way to get iPhoto to work again?

Thanks in advance.

Posted on Jul 7, 2014 4:01 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 7, 2014 4:09 PM

iPhoto does not work because you are trying to use a version build for Mavericks and too "new" to run on SL, in any case you need to downgrade your iPhoto to a version compatible with Snow Leopard if you pretend to run SL and iPhoto, these will prove the same to most applications

8 replies

Jul 7, 2014 4:53 PM in response to Eudine

Eudine wrote:

The only backup I have is the one from Time Machine and I did when I had Mavericks installed.

Does that backup have a copy of the iPhoto library BEFORE you installed 10.9?

If that is the case move the current iPhoto library aside and restore the old iPhoto library backup to the Pictures folder.

You could also do what you are trying (upgrade to 10.9, export images, revert to 10.6), but the error you are giving is too vague, we need the full message to have any idea on how to help you to upgrade to 10.9. I would try to install 10.9 on an external disk so you can view the library & export from there.

I think you will also need to do similar things with any apps that were newer on 10.9 such as Pages etc.

Jul 12, 2014 12:01 PM in response to Eudine

Guys, I finally found a way to retrieve my pictures. It was standing in front of me the whole time... 😟

When I right-clicked my iphoto library, one of the options was "Display Package Contents" (sorry but this is a translation since my Mac is not in English). By selecting this option I had access to all my pictures.

Still I can't open iPhoto, even after uninstalling and re-installing it with my original version, but at least I have my pictures back. 🙂

I appreciated everyone's help, but I'm giving up on iPhoto for now.

iPhoto won't open after Mavericks toSnow Leopard downgrade

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.