Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MBP: Migrate dual internal HDD/SSD combo to new iMac Fusion

I have taken the optical bay drive out of my MBP 2012 and replaced with a 256 SSD. I now use both that and the SSD, obviously booting from SSD and using that for many apps. Keep media files on the old HDD. My question is this: I am now buying a new iMac 21.5" with the Fusion Drive. When I use migration/setup assistant, will I be able to bring over both drives? Also, do I want to do that if I have a bit of redundancy on these two drives (copies of a few apps/files both places) or is that asking for trouble. Better to migrate from only 1 drive and then bring in files/apps/stuff that I want from the other drive piecemeal. I'd love to avoid the mini-mess I have made on my MBP, but I also want to ensure my new computer looks/feels essentially like my MBP experience.

Has anyone done this? Thoughts/advice? Much appreciated...Thanks

Posted on Jul 7, 2014 5:57 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 7, 2014 6:02 PM

You can copy all the data on your SSD that you want to keep onto the HDD excepting OS X system files. Then migrate from this HDD to your new Fusion Drive being sure to only migrate the user folder, Applications Support files, and third-party applications.

The Fusion Drive will decide from your usage just what should be copied from the HDD to the SSD of the Fusion Drive.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 7, 2014 6:02 PM in response to gtonthebus

You can copy all the data on your SSD that you want to keep onto the HDD excepting OS X system files. Then migrate from this HDD to your new Fusion Drive being sure to only migrate the user folder, Applications Support files, and third-party applications.

The Fusion Drive will decide from your usage just what should be copied from the HDD to the SSD of the Fusion Drive.

Jul 7, 2014 6:12 PM in response to Kappy

Thanks, Kappy. So I will be able to select only those items when I move? I should choose manual then? Also, I assume when you say "user folder" I assume you mean all user folders (my wife and I each have separate profiles, as well as an administrative one).

Two more quick hits I should add to my asks:

1. Do you know of a good program/way to reconcile duplicate files/apps between the HDD/SSDs? IE, is there an easy way for me to clean up this mess a bit better? I've been procrastinating on doing this, but my new purchase is spurring me to get everything in order.

2. Assuming I will nuke my iTunes library from the MBP and house it on the iMac once copied over. I will be able to access the files over network from iMac, right?

Thanks again!

MBP: Migrate dual internal HDD/SSD combo to new iMac Fusion

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.