Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time capsule download speeds are slow

iMac <======>Time capsule (bridge mode) <=====> 10/100 ethernet switch <====> Comcast router/modem Arris TG862

Multiple iDevices are wirelessly connected to Time capsule because Arris TG862 couldn't handle more than 10 wireless devices without kicking them off.

Time capsule is in bridge mode, 4th gen, 7.6.4.

Have been running this configuration for over a year and download speeds @ 50Mbs for the iMac that is wired to the time capsule and an iMac that is wirelessly connected to time capsule. AppeTV is hardwired to 10/100 ethernet switch as well, and has never had a problem before download / streaming movies.

In the past week, the wired download speed of the iMac has crawled down to 5-6 Mbs. Wireless connections are .5-1 Mbs.

I have unplugged all devices, waited 10 mins, plugged in router/modem, waited 5 mins, plugged in switch, waited 1 min, plugged in TC, waited 5 mins, ran a test on Speedtest.net - still getting 5 Mbs wired and slower on wifi. If I unplug the ethernet cable from the TC (WAN) and plug it into the iMac directly, I get 57 Mbs download speed on Speedtest.net. Why would the TC suddenly be slowing down download speeds. In all configurations, the upload speed is still 10-11 Mbs. It appears that only download speeds are affected. Any suggestions?

Posted on Jul 7, 2014 6:46 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 7, 2014 6:59 PM

Same download performance if you test using the other Ethernet ports on the Time Capsule? (All ports are the same in Bridge Mode...use either WAN or LAN)

If yes, then you likely have a defective Ethernet switch on the Time Capsule. But, worth a try to perform a factory default reset on the Time Capsule and then try a re-configuration.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 7, 2014 6:59 PM in response to searching.4.answers

Same download performance if you test using the other Ethernet ports on the Time Capsule? (All ports are the same in Bridge Mode...use either WAN or LAN)

If yes, then you likely have a defective Ethernet switch on the Time Capsule. But, worth a try to perform a factory default reset on the Time Capsule and then try a re-configuration.

Jul 7, 2014 7:11 PM in response to Bob Timmons

Yes, I've tried moving the ethernet cable from the iMac to a different LAN port on the TC. Same slow speed. The wireless download speeds are slow too, seems like the WAN connection is "throttling" download speeds no matter if it's wired or wireless.

I have pressed the reset button on the back of the TC until the front light blinks amber. Then I went thru the setup to have it connected Ethernet, Bridge mode, create a wireless network, and DHCP from the router. I got 12 Mbs download speed for the wired connection after doing this the first time. Fifteen minutes later I tested it again using Speedtest.net and the download speed for the wired connection had fallen to 5 Mbs. I unplugged the TC, waited a half hour, held the reset button down while I plugged it in, went thru the setup again, and still had a download speed of only 4 Mbs when I was done.

I assumed if the switch on the TC went bad that it wouldn't work at all, not just be slow.

Any other suggestions?

Jul 7, 2014 7:28 PM in response to searching.4.answers

I assumed if the switch on the TC went bad that it wouldn't work at all, not just be slow.

If the switch was having port negotiation problems....as I suspect....then it would work, but much more slowly. A barely working Ethernet switch on the TC, I am afraid. Hopefully the TC is under warranty or you have AppleCare in effect on one of the Macs.

Time capsule download speeds are slow

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.