Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

internet problems since Maverick upgrade

Like many others, I'm having severe problems with internet access through Airport Time Capsule after latest Maverick upgrade (10.9.4). Specifically, I know internet connection is fine since I receive wireless access from modem/router. I used to hard wire my Airport Capsule (utility version 6.3.2) and create separate network which worked great until couple months ago. Now I'm suffering the dreaded "169.254..." IP address problem with ATC which persists even if I directly wire into my iMAC (i.e. cannot hard wire into ATC or iMac). I've diligently perform multiple reboots of modem/AC/iMac with factory resets of ATC to no avail. My ISP has never heard of this problem and is no help. Anyone have any other suggestions?? Very frustrating to spend hours on problem which occurred after a so-called "upgrade."

Posted on Jul 7, 2014 5:25 PM

3 replies

Jul 10, 2014 7:07 AM in response to nradman

Hi nradman,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities.

The articles below provide a lot of great tips that can help you resolve the self-assigned IP address issue that you described.

OS X Mavericks: Renew an IP address from the DHCP server

http://support.apple.com/kb/PH13858

Internet connection does not work with an IP address space of 169.254.xxx.xxx from ISP, router, or manual configuration

http://support.apple.com/kb/ts3798

Cheers!

-Jason

Jul 12, 2014 11:02 AM in response to Jason L

I fail to understand how your reply addresses the issue. Maverick 10.9.4 is not compatible with old Time Capsules. Seems like old Time Capsules only work with Airport Utility 5.6.1 which is not supported in Maverick 10.9.4. Airport Utility 6.3.2 does not seem to work in old Time Capsules. After updating my computer to 10.9.4 my Time Capsule does not connect. I use this Time Capsule to expand my network and back up my computer. I also have a newer Time Capsule that works just fine. Lots of sites offer ways to replace the new program with the old one which I do not want to do since I do not have the necessary skills to do that and I don´t think it is the proper way to go.

My questions are, has Apple just made my Time Capsule obsolete? Do I have to buy a new one? Or is there an official Apple solution?

Thanks.

Jul 14, 2014 9:48 AM in response to Richical

While I appreciate any suggestions, I had already checked those references and they were not helpful. I believe archival is correct that this is due to upgrades in Mavericks and Airport Utility. My frustration is that my Time Capsule is only 7-8 months old and worked perfectly until the upgrade. I thought about installing earlier version of Mavericks, but unsure whether that will be problem for other aspects of this upgrade?? Very dIsappointing.

internet problems since Maverick upgrade

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.