Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 7 (7.1.2) Update disabled my wifi ***?? HELP

So I foolishly only have my backups in the iCloud I just did the update on my 4S and the wifi became disabled. So I restored my device to the latest version as there is no other choice. 7.1.2 screwed me. So even now my wifi is now disabled - so what does that mean???

I\ll tell you. It means I can't restore anything from my iCloud. I'm absolutely screwed. The option isn't even available at the login screen. When I restore the device and setup again as a new device. The wifi is available for a matter of minutes and as soon as it joins the network it becomes disabled so I can't select it again.

I have to restore and it just repeats. This update has messed me up. HELP:.

Any ideas??? Its not the phone as it was working fine up until the second I updated. My wife's phone hasn't done the update so she is fine.

Posted on Jul 7, 2014 7:45 PM

3 replies

Jul 10, 2014 6:59 AM in response to sabatica

Hi ,

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities!

I understand that you cannot use your Wi-Fi after the latest update to your iPhone 4s. I know you have already done some great troubleshooting by restoring with iTunes but the Wi-Fi becomes unavailable very quickly after you set it up. Go ahead and set up the iPhone so you can get into the Setting and then follow the steps provided in the attached article.

iOS: Wi-Fi settings grayed out or dim

http://support.apple.com/kb/ts1559

Resolution

Follow these steps to resolve the issue:

1. Restart your iOS device.
  2. Make sure that airplane mode is off by tapping Settings > Airplane Mode.
  3. Reset the network settings by tapping Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings.
    This will reset all network settings, including Bluetooth pairing records, Wi-Fi passwords, VPN, and APN settings.
  4. Make sure that your device is using the latest software. To do so, connect your device to your computer and check for updates in iTunes.

If you complete all of these steps and still are not able to access the Wi-Fi, it may be necessary to follow the link at the bottom of the page and contact Apple Support.

Have a great day,

-Joe

Jul 10, 2014 7:08 AM in response to sabatica

By disabled do you mean that it is grayed out? If the wifi is greyed out, which does happen occasionally especially with the 4S models, reset network settings in settings>general>reset>reset network settings. If that doesn't work you can try restoring and setting up as new. If the restore does not work you could take it into the apple retail store and explain to them that it happened after an update, i have heard of them putting some type of bumper on the iPhone 4s models because of the wifi antenna.

Jul 15, 2014 12:20 PM in response to sabatica

I have this issue too ( the apple fix did not work for me ) - it started over 1 month ago but completely by accident, my phone battery drained completely and stayed drained for 12 hours. Once I got back to a charger, I charged my phone and to my surprise, the wifi was working and available. The WIFI stayed available for almost 1 month, and then became unavailable and greyed out again. I proceeded to let the battery drain and plug it back in after 12 hours... the WIFI became available again.

In my opinion, if it was a hardware issue, the wifi should stay greyed out and un-available after a bettery drain. The phone I have is an iPhone 4s, only 1 year 3 months old and I did not start having issues with it until an iOS update - I believe it was to iOS 7.

iOS 7 (7.1.2) Update disabled my wifi ***?? HELP

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.