Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Logic Pro 9 won't import GarageBand songs from iPad

This used to be a simple process. Import the song via iTunes from the iPad to the Mac, save the ".band" file to the desktop, click on the song and it would open in Logic Pro 9. I can no longer get iOS GarageBand songs, new or old, to open in Logic on the Mac. Logic keeps crashing. When I click on the ".band" file, try to open it from within Logic, or try dragging onto the Logic icon, the only option I get is to save the file that I'm trying to open. If I save it and then try to open it, there is nothing there but an empty arrange window with the name of the song at the top. If I click on all of the advanced options when saving, Logic crashes and says it needs to be updated yet there are no available updates. It's already up to date. Is it suggesting that I purchase Logic X bc the iPad has the latest version of GarageBand? One problem there is, I can no longer open the old files, that opened previously on the same Mac, etc., that were recorded on the 8-track version of GarageBand. Any ideas? Should I re-install Logic Pro 9?

Posted on Jul 7, 2014 8:11 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 10, 2014 6:14 AM

What version of Garageband are you using? If you're using the GB 10, it probably isn't importable into Logic 9, because it doesn't support Drummer, and many other features.

Get Logic Pro X, or downgrading to an older version of GB will probably solve your problem.

2 replies

Jul 10, 2014 11:19 AM in response to Organism

Hey, thanks. I have GB 2.0.1 (which is probably linked to GB 10) on the iPad 2 and LP 9.1.8 on the Mac. I take the iPad on the road and sketch out ideas then transfer them to the Mac. I have found a way to transfer the audio manually by opening the project folder and copying 1 track at a time, but that does me no good as all of those audio tracks get replaced anyway. I want to keep the MIDI files and know how to access them in the ".band" file or change the language in the file to make GB 2.0.1 open in LP9, if any one knows how to do that.

Do you know how to downgrade to an older version of GB for iOS? The one purchased on my app store is 2.0.1, unfortunately. Where/ how can I get an older version? Thank you.

As for buying LP 10, my Mac won't support it as it's 32-bit.

Mac Pro 1.1 (June 2007)

2x Quad Core 2.66 Ghz Intel Xeon

16 GB RAM

(2) HD's

Audio Drive: WD Caviar Black

Logic 9.1.8

Snow Leopard 10.6.8

iPad2 w/ GarageBand 2.0.1/ iOS 7

Logic Pro 9 won't import GarageBand songs from iPad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.