Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

'Find My iPhone' still turned on? but I turned it off ... help?

Ok, so I have an iPad 4 that has had problems with its Cellular Antenna. I took it to an Apple repair business last Friday. They took the iPad and said there would be a replacement in this week. So before I took it I turned off 'Find My iPhone' and 'Erased All Content and Settings' successfully. I went to iCloud.com and check that the iPad was no longer showing in the https://www.icloud.com/find (which it wasn't and still isn't).

Today I got a phone call from the repairer. The gentleman I spoke to said that he could not order a replacement as the iPad won't restore as it indicates 'Find My iPhone' is still on. It is not on, as I said it is not showing up on either https://www.icloud.com/find or on my 'Find My iPhone' iPhone App.

He said I can Phone AppleCare but the issue won't be solved for 3 weeks. Or, I could take it to an Apple store to solve the problem and get a replacement on the spot - the Apple Store is over an hour away.

Has anyone heard of this happening before? Is there something else I can do to solve it?

Posted on Jul 7, 2014 7:59 PM

7 replies

Jul 7, 2014 8:05 PM in response to simonp_au

In order for this to work the iPad will need to be off:

Logon to icloud.com and login will your Apple ID.

Click on "Find My iPhone" in the bottom left hand corner of the screen

Find your device in the drop down menu in the top center.

After it attempts to find your device and fails (because it is off), an X will appear next to its name.

This his will take your device off of the icloud account, thus turning off find my ipad.

Jul 7, 2014 8:34 PM in response to Vernostosalgos

Thank you for your prompt reply.

I have looked at icloud.com/find numerous times and my iPad is not showing at all (see picture below). As I said I did turn off 'Find My iPhone' on my iPad and then erase all settings and data before taking it to the repair centre.

The gentleman at the repair centre said that the device won't restore because "Apple thinks that 'Find My iPhone' is still turned on" (I'm repeating what he said).

User uploaded file

Jul 7, 2014 8:47 PM in response to simonp_au

Can you go to the repair shop and delete the iCloud account from the device? To do that you would go to Settings>iCloud, scroll to the bottom and click on Delete Account, then you would put in your current Apple ID password when asked, and follow the prompts to delete the account. All this does is remove the iCloud account from the device. It does not delete the actual iCloud account itself.

Cheers,

GB

Apr 16, 2015 6:09 AM in response to simonp_au

is there any chance that you had it registered to another Icloud account? I would still give applecare a call and give them your serial number to look at what account is tied to it. They should at least be able to tell you the first letter of the email so that could help you distinguish. it's pretty uncommon for icloud to this. Usually when so,etching like this happens, there's a reason somewhere- it's just a matter of finding it.

Jul 7, 2014 9:10 PM in response to gail from maine

Hey, thanks for your reply.

As I said I turned off 'Find My iPhone' on my iPad the erased all settings and data. So now when the iPad is turned on iOS show's the setup screen, or the 'Hello' screen. He claims he can't restore it.

What I will do is go to the repair centre and see if I can use my Apple ID to set up the device again and then do as you say, delete iCloud from the device.

Thanks.

'Find My iPhone' still turned on? but I turned it off ... help?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.