Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Calculating time in a 24 hour format

ZULU TIMES

TOTAL TIME

OUT

OFF

ON

IN

HOBBS

BLOCK

23:00

23:06

00:06

00:12

I having trouble getting my times to calculate correctly. Any help?

Posted on Jul 7, 2014 9:35 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 8, 2014 1:05 AM

There are two ways to do it - the first one you won't like because it requires entering the date as well as the time. That's the usual way Numbers expects times to be entered, and if you were to do that you could perform a simple subtraction as it appears you're trying to do.

The other way is to test for a negative result but you can't do that directly since it won't work for duration values. You can perform that test using the TIMEVALUE function, and correct for negative results by adding 24 hours. Restore a duration value with the DURATION function.

Here is the function and its results:

User uploaded file

Block times work the same way, just use the out and in times instead of on / in:

User uploaded file

Let me know if that works for you.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 8, 2014 1:05 AM in response to nrsanders

There are two ways to do it - the first one you won't like because it requires entering the date as well as the time. That's the usual way Numbers expects times to be entered, and if you were to do that you could perform a simple subtraction as it appears you're trying to do.

The other way is to test for a negative result but you can't do that directly since it won't work for duration values. You can perform that test using the TIMEVALUE function, and correct for negative results by adding 24 hours. Restore a duration value with the DURATION function.

Here is the function and its results:

User uploaded file

Block times work the same way, just use the out and in times instead of on / in:

User uploaded file

Let me know if that works for you.

Calculating time in a 24 hour format

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.