Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

OS X Update 10.9.4 won't install on restart

In the App Store Updates window, it showed that my Mac had an update available for OS X Update 10.9.4. When I clicked on update and then restarted the computer as prompted to complete installation, I got a message that the update download was corrupted and needed to be re-downloaded. The mac restarted after the message and I am still running 10.9.3 per the "About this Mac" window without any major issues noted.

However, the OS X Update 10.9.4 is still showing in the app store update window. When I click on update, then restart as prompted to finish installation, the computer restarts (quickly) and never installs the OS update. After the restart, I still am running 10.9.3 per the "About this Mac" window. I've tried this multiple times with the same result - the computer restarts after I click on update and it restarts but never installs 10.9.4. What's more weird is that in the "Updates Installed in the last 30 days" section, the OS X 10.9.4 update is listed several times (each time I've tried to install it) even though it never installs.

I've tried restarting multiple times outside of the app store, as well as verifying disk permissions. And the OS X 10.0.4 update doesn't show in the purchases section in the App store to try to re-download.

Any help would be appreciated.

Posted on Jul 7, 2014 11:56 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 8, 2014 9:14 AM

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1755

16 replies

Jul 8, 2014 4:18 PM in response to Ludeth

Ludeth,

Any chance you can point me to the other troubleshooting steps to clean out the files? I am concerned that since Software Update is showing 10.9.45 installed today, yet About this Mac still shows10.9.3 that there may be either a partial install or a few files now in my system. I just completed a complete reformat and install of 10.9.3 a few days ago and really would like to avoid having a bunch of fragmented c--p in the system so soon! Appreciate any help.

p.s. I have downloaded the manual installer but don't want to proceed yet.

Thanks

Jul 8, 2014 4:21 PM in response to senbariki

senbariki,

Most of the time OS X does a great job clearing out cruft. I have had to locate some App store files from time to time for friends and it was pretty tedious.. if memory serves it involves using terminal to remove some folders in

/private/var/folders/dw

I would suggest this is almost certainly not needed. I would install the update, and reboot. The Mac has cron job scripts that run daily, weekly and monthly to clean out un-needed things.

Thanks,

Ludeth

Jul 17, 2014 10:16 AM in response to mathskt

I had this issue and I was able to fix it by powering completely off and resetting my PRAM. I'm not sure which of the two fixed it, but after I logged back in, I was able to go to the App Store and apply the 10.9.4 update. This allowed me to skip downloading the standalone update.

Immediately after the update, I was unable to launch iMovie because it said it was still being updated, but after a few minutes that problem went away by itself.

Jul 30, 2014 10:41 AM in response to mathskt

Same issue but not solved by suggestions here. I update routinely by combo update, but this time it is not installing on Macbook Pro 5,2. I am seemingly stuck on 10.9.3. App store method acting strange as well. I constantly get " restart to finishing installing software". Restarts rapidly like it's done nothing and volia... it has done nothing (about mac showing 10.9.3). I ran cocktail, I have reset PRAM, and am currently standing on one leg and re-downloading combo update to try that again (incase corrupted?). Insight appreciated - Thanks!

Sep 6, 2014 6:41 AM in response to Tim3308

I have had the same problem. Have reset PRAM, fixed permissions, powered down, downloaded the manual update package, cleared the Library install cache...and always the same result. The install will cycle through, but then after the restart I get the message "Some updates not installed"...

Any advice welcome - but please don't just point me to the Apple support page, which I've read countless times, and followed the link (and tried redownloading the manual update package several times).

Sep 6, 2014 9:06 AM in response to bthove

Okay - hoping this helps someone else...

After exhausting all other published options: manual install, cache clearing, PRAM zap, safe boot, permissions fixing, and basically seemingly everything short of sacrificing small animals...

What worked for me was establishing an additional administrator account, downloading the manual update and doing the install from that account. All went well at the first attempt, and my Mac is now [finally!] running the latest update.

Oct 1, 2014 10:01 PM in response to mathskt

This worked for me (Error 513) :

Re: Mavericks unable to apply software updates

1. Open Terminal

2. cd /var/folders/zz

3. sudo chown -R _softwareupdate:_softwareupdate zyxvpxvq6csfxvn_n00000s0000068

4. Type your password

5. Run the update via Appstore again

Updated 10.9.3 to 10.9.5 successfully. I had no success with the following solutions:

- reset PRAM

- new Adminuser

- checked the permissions with the disk utility

- checked the disk with the disk utility

- checked with onyx the permissions and cronjobs

- downloaded the update as standalone installer (10.9.4 and 10.9.5)

I hope it helps.

OS X Update 10.9.4 won't install on restart

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.